Hardware Recommendation for SQL Server 2022

Hello all,

My company is looking to purchase a new SQL server and we are looking into hardware for it. We are looking at an HPE DL325 Gen11 with 64 to 128 GB for system memory. A 9004 Epyc either 8 or 16 core. We want to use a 2x 480GB for the boot drive and U.2 for the SQL databases.

What are some recommendations for the storage, we want to use U.2 ssds for the speed and so we don’t add anymore hard drives to the environment.
We also intend to install fresh Windows Server 2022 and SQL Server 2022.

Thanks for the input.

HPE servers are awful and don’t last long after the warranty expires. Look at the Dell PowerEdge R7515.

1 Like

How much usable space do you need?

What licensing are you on for SQL? Our company is now on the new licensing model and no matter what you gotta pay for 16 cores, so if you get 8, you are then paying for 8 more you don’t even have.

1 Like

We need about 1TB for the current production, but I want to at least have 2 TB when we order for future growth.

We use Standard at the moment, and i believe we use the CAL licensing.

U.2 4TB SDDs cost like $230, but 8TB is even cheaper per TB at $430. At these prices mirrored 8TB for $900 just feels like a nobrainer for a company.

You could go cheaper and reliable m.2 4TB cost like $180 at this point, but I think cgoing straight to 8 makes sense.

1 Like

Being HP they will probably limit you to their SSD oems but kioxia or solidigm are good choices for DB workloads.

Sql will absolutely fly on Genoa/9004 epyc CPUs, your dbas will be blown away.

Id probably do a 4 drive setup so you could do a stripe or a mirror of 4x4tb or 4x8tb. Even if you don’t use the space that just means more total write endurance over the lifetime of the box.

3 Likes