Hard time with Rampage 2 extreme

every time ive tried to overclock my core i7 940 with the CPU level up tool, it just says locked on the LCD POSTER. can anyone help me get to 3.4 ghz on air with that board? and with the stock cooler i have gotten to 70c @ stock clocks, is that normal? one last thing is that i had a thermaltake V1 but it unfortunetely used the intel push pin design and fell of the motherboard. so until that gets back from RMA im using stock with extremely little low end thermal paste.

Use bios.
Also 70C is way much

well that feature is in the bios, and when i try in the bios it still says locked. any suggestions?

70c?? your CPU shouldnt go above 60c under load, even when overclocked, and youre at 70 on stock? youll be lucky if that processor lasts you until the end of the year. something is wrong with your cooler or your pc's air flow. i suggest getting an aftermarket cooler asap with some good thermal paste, and make sure you apply it properly otherwise it wont work. and do not overclock it until you get those temps in acceptable ranges or youll just melt your cpu.

I'll bet you improperly applied your thermal paste.

well thanks for the feedback and i know i screwed up with the thermal paste and i know its a bad temp but its not helping me with ocing. i have a V1 that needs a backplate or an rma which im in the process of, and it only goes 55 in gaming. load is p95. thanks for the feedback though. so any ideas why it just says locked?

oh one more thing, and sorry for the second post but i just thought should i believe the temperature displayed by the LCD Poster or RealTemp? because there is a discrepency between the two.

Is your computer made by a manufacturer? I heard that some companies enjoy putting limitations on the bios.

nah i custom built it, thanks though.

What speed is your memory set at what its listed speed. I bought Muskin 1600 3x2 seems to help my overclock. You have to up the voltage to the memory as well as the the speed to overclock well.

i7 920
eVGA SLI x58
3x2 Muskin 1600
Stock Cooling (fail must upgraded SOON)Prolimatech Need Bad ( must work More)
Windows 7( 1700 ) RC 64 bit

i have Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz 49C Idle, 98C Full Load by Prime95 X64 (with xigmatek dark knight with 1366 bracket, that is why i ordered liquid cooling of this exact cartASUS P6T Deluxe V26GB (3 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz low voltage tri-channel kitmy pc youtube link.

i reaplied thermal paste and the temps are in the 50s, go figure. i also got the overclock to work. the Uclock and the QPI where not set properly. i learned that the Uclock is twice the memory clock, apparently the bios tells you these things.

I GOT THE SAME MOTHERBOARD BUT WITH THE 920 AND ITS OVERCLOCKED TO 3.8 AND UNDER FULL LOAD IM AT 55c
GET NEW THRMO PASTED AND DO IT RIGHT IF THAT DOESNT HELP THEN TRY TO RETURN YOUR PROCESSOR