Hard time finding best GPU for server tasks

Hello,
I’m looking for a gpu that could do video rendering / transcoding and soon AI for image recognition.

When it comes to enterprise grade nvidia have a lot more products for specific work and my knowledge is more limited.
The GPU would go in the R7525.

Thank you

If your budget is real low like 150$ range I’d shoot for a tesla m40
It only has 2 encoders but it will have Superior ai performance and has 12, or 24GB of vram depending on which model

It’s the same chip as the Maxwell Titan

They’re cheap enough you can get 2-3 for the price of a newer card that has multiple encoders, more power consumption but more performance

1 Like

I was thinking around 5k-7k
I know server grade nvidia gpus are more scattered when it come to features and they don’t really mix transcoding/rendering and AI

I will run the gpu in a kubernetes env that will share the gpu to provide internal services

Here is a page for nvenc encoders

I’m not positive but v100s are maybe best bang for buck

They have them in 32GB variants but those are probably no where near as cheap as V100s

A100s are like 8 grand right now and I couldn’t tell you if 1 of those vs 4x v100 would be better

I did look at the A100 but reading about it, It was made only for AI. they didn’t put NVENC or NVDEC nor ray tracing (but don’t need that)

“Note: Because the A100 Tensor Core GPU is designed to be installed in high-performance servers and data center racks to power AI and HPC compute workloads, it does not include display connectors, NVIDIA RT Cores for ray tracing acceleration, or an NVENC encoder.”

This table explain well which gpu support transcoding.
AI is till in research phase so that gpu would be mostly for transcoding but can also run ai tests too.
When ready, I might find another more suitable for production

Oops didn’t check that one, guess V100 is where it’s at since it has 3 encoders that can do 10 but 8kx8,k streams
Won’t have bframes

I used my old Titan V (desktop card with same die as V100) for multi nvenc and plex streams + for some of my AI work before and worked like a champ before getting my NVIDIA A30 GPU and it was solid. So v100 or a30 might be of intreset for you

You mean the A40?
The A30 doesn’t have any nvenc looking at the nvidia chart.

Good to know for the titan I might need one for dev

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.