Hard drive prices-WTF

Have any of you seen the price of hard drives lately? I just about had a heart attack at the prices since the flood cause a shortage. Some have almost tripled. Looks like I will not be getting any for a long time. Was looking to expand.

If these prices are going to continue for a long period of time I might have to seriously start considering SSD's for the future.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I was just in shock from these prices.

Yeah I was going to buy another 2TB drive but guess I'll wait now lol...hopefully everything is back to normal soon enough

the price on the drive I bought a few months ago rose to $250, jebus

Read the Seagate CEO said production wouldn't be back to normal till next summer. Doesn't sound good. Might be a long wait till prices drop back down if they ever do.

I was going to order a bunch of drives because I needed one especially for a laptop so I just thought why not get a few more for my multibay nas but after seeing those prices I drop a 40gb drive I salvaged from a PS3 when I swapped the drive on day one of owning it in the laptop to keep it going.

When you have to resort to salvaging drives from PS3's is when you know times are getting tough.lol

eastexas said:

Read the Seagate CEO said production wouldn't be back to normal till next summer. Doesn't sound good. Might be a long wait till prices drop back down if they ever do.

I was going to order a bunch of drives because I needed one especially for a laptop so I just thought why not get a few more for my multibay nas but after seeing those prices I drop a 40gb drive I salvaged from a PS3 when I swapped the drive on day one of owning it in the laptop to keep it going.

When you have to resort to salvaging drives from PS3's is when you know times are getting tough.lol

I have a spare 500GB laptop HDD if you want to buy it off of me. It's a WD Caviar Blue.

I have a couple of spare ones, so I'll be good. But these prices suck.Hopefully I'll not need one for a very long time.

There was flooding in thailand

[IMG]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/wooly4/stating-the-obvious-stating-obvious-fur-degree-demotivational-poster-1265359207.jpg[/IMG]

thanks for the offer Vortex but I managed to get one from a friend this morning. Very nice of you though.

Ya its crazy thats why i just bought ssd.

eastexas said:

thanks for the offer Vortex but I managed to get one from a friend this morning. Very nice of you though.

Lol, not a big deal. It's just sitting in my closet anyway. I doubt I'll ever use it.

holy hell i payed 120 for a 2tb hdd over the summer and now there 300+ fuck that shit

you can always salvage hard drives out of xboxs (about the only real use I've found for them)

Newegg had a few deals but now out of stock but it seems Fry's still has normal prices listed for 2.5 drives for now.