Hachette v Internet Archive

I don’t usually post, I tend to lurk, so apologies for any topic etiquette/formatting mistakes (and if someone wants to make a better topic about this, that would probably be better). But I just found out about Internet Archive being ruled against in Hachette v Internet Archive. So would it be good for us here to start some form of community project to come together and backup what we can manage?

Internet Archive is in the process of appealing.

Some quotes from the judge on his reasoning for ruling against Internet Archive:
“alleged benefits … cannot outweigh the market harm to the publishers”
“there is nothing transformative about [Internet Archive’s] copying and unauthorized lending”

I’ve just found this, a PDF of the ruling. For anyone that wants to read it in full.
I’ll admit I haven’t done so yet. But it doesn’t look good so far. I hope this is just blown out of proportion on my part from what I’ve seen posted so far.

Doing more digging, it seems this might just affect their OpenLibrary program and not the Internet Archive as a whole as I’ve been lead to believe.
I’ve also found this Verge article, the only reporting I’ve found on this so far. But this is rather breaking news rn. My apologies, I’ll clean up some of the original posting. Or maybe even just delete this whole post, especially if asked to do so.

2 Likes