Guidance for Workstation Build for VFX

Hey there,

I’m currently configuring a new workstation for VFX work using Nuke, the Adobe Suite and potentially Unreal Engine and would like your opinion about this build.

My plan:

1. Run a dual boot config (Windows 10 Pro & CentOS 7/8)
  2. In order to get the full 3200MHz out of the RAM I’m looking into overclocking
  3. I’m waiting for AMD to release it’s GPU and then decide which GPU I will choose.

My concerns:

1. The RAM might interfere with two CPU Cooler Fans as the G.Skill are quite high.
  2. The 980 Pro might be not worth the price difference compared to the 970 Evo Plus.

I’m looking forward to hear you inputs and have a great Thursday :slight_smile:

The PCPartPicker List:
/list/GrNrDc

CPU:
AMD | Threadripper 3960x

CPU Cooler:
Noctua | NH-U14S TR4-SP3

2nd CPU Cooler Fan: (not included in PCPartPicker list)
Nocuta | NF-A15 PWM

Motherboard:
ASRock | TRX40 Creator

Memory:
256GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL16 (F4-3200C16Q2-256GVK)

Storage:
2x Samsung |1TB 980 Pro (Project Drives)
Crucial | M500 960 GB (OS Drive) [already owned]

GPU: (not included in PCPartPicker list)
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC vs Radeon RX 6800 (XT)

Case:
be quiet | Dark Base 700

Extra Case Fans:
2x be quiet | Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High-Speed

Power Supply:
be quiet | Dark Power Pro 11 | 1200W

1 Like

I pinned down the GPU which I would use for this build:

It’s either the ASUS RTX 3080 TUF or the ROG STRIX.
The OC versions of these card don’t really convince me to spend the extra cash.

What’s you opinion about the whole setup?

The big question is the availablity but that’s a different topic.

May want to look at ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha for motherboard for 256GB ram at 3200mhz speed I currently run that on my 3970x with no issues and I don’t know if all of the TRX40 motherboards handle that memory speed at density but stuff may have changed since I last looked into it.

Also either of the cards you picked should be good issue will be finding them for sale at this current time.

Thanks Ace_Zedock.
Will have a look at it, not sure if it will be in the budget.

I love it! Killer build and you seem that have maxed it out in all the right spots. The only thing I may do different is have 2 separate physical boot drives for each OS. You can still do stared storage drives etc… but imo I have had a more stable time with that style of config. Very exciting, looking forward to future updates!

The Zenith II Extreme Alpha might not be necessary. I think Wendell said the ASRock mobo (the Creator, I think) was able to handle RAM pretty well too.

He said that with the ASRock Creator he reached a somewhat stable 3200MHz, so just what I need.
I was contemplating with the 3600 MHz RAM but it’s very hard to get by in my area.

Thanks poomer :wink:
I was actually also thinking about running CentOS and have a KVM with Windows 10 and/or Mac OS High Sierra with a GPU & CPU Passthrough. But I’m not that deep into that topic so I need to gather some materials during my research.

1 Like

It’d be amazing if you could dial-in the timings even at 3200MHz. When do you plan on getting the system? Cause you might wanna make a decision on the GPU side of things and start looking for one so that you eventually reach the top of the GPU sales order offer list somewhere.

Personally, the Radeons are looking particularly attractive this time around. Especially with the day 6 linux patches that AMD just released which provides so much more performance. And also the TR 5960X is gonna be such a better deal than the 3960X. Not just in raw performance, but even memory support and capability.

Radeon RX 6800 Series Performance Comes Out Even Faster With Newest Linux Code via Phoronix

I plan to get the system at beginning of January 2021.

I selected a few RTX 3080 GPUs and the first one available will be used for this build:

ASUS 3080 TUF
ASUS 3080 TUF OC
ASUS 3080 ROG Strix
ASUS 3080 ROG Strix OC
MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio

Are there more details regarding the launch & the specs? I spotted somewhere that the release will be in Q2 of 2021.

Yeah they do and I’m looking forward what AMD will present next year with the second iteration of it’s GPUs.
I was a long time on the fence between those two cards but the RTX 3080 is slightly better performance wise (which is not much to be fair) as well as it’s machine learning possibility and I think it will be easier to grab a RTX 3080 than a RX 6800 XT due to the partner cards.

They should be ready in Q1 2021, perhaps Feb. Spec change will be somewhat similar to what Ryzen 3000 to 5000 was.

Interesting. Well let’s see when I can pull the trigger on this build. Maybe by the time the next Gen will be released.
My dad likes say “As soon as you buy the parts for your PC, they are already outdated” :smiley:

I mean, the 3970X has been out for almost a year ago. You might as well get the newer product when it releases next year.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.