GTX 1630 vs Arc A380

I’m planning a build for a “production” server (AKA where services my friends and family will use that I won’t REGULARLY mess with) and I’m looking into GPU encoding for Jellyfin. I know it supports Nvenc and AV1 and I’m not sure where I wanna go with it.

Any opinions on which is easier to use with a PCIe passthrough on Proxmox?

My goblin brain says get both. Run one in my test lab and the other in “production” but I’d rather get just one for now and curious what is recommended and why?

Are you sure about that?
GTX 1630 is tu117 which uses 5th gen nvenc, which lacks b frames, it also lacks av1 support

I wouldn’t bother with it

You need a 4000 series GPU to support av1 on Nvidia

From what I’ve heard jellyfin doesn’t have av1 support on AMD cards yet but I haven’t gotten an update on that since

@Argone has experience

Intel arc, amd 7000 and nvidia 4000 all have av1 encoding. Jellyfin as far as i know supports av1 playback but not av1 encoding.

GTX1630, is a further nerfed 116/117 chip- do NOT do that
A380 is best bet [at its price and wattage point], for the AV1 support

2 Likes

Hype. Sounds like we’re going Intel.

@Argone So I’m in experienced at video streaming services. What does AV1 playback mean for me trying to stream from it?

Hmm now that I’m looking into it more. I might see if I can win a knife fight for an A2000 6gb

Just sold mine

av1 is simply put a more efficient codec. For a given bitrate (what travels the network/internet) av1 has better picture quality. You can stream higher quality with less bandwidth. So little supports it at this point. h265 and h264 are the norm at this point. Bleeding edge are h266 and av1.