GRUB on usb stick pendrive to boot to second OS on PC

I have tower PC with 2 drives. One is Proxmox and second is Windows. Unfortunately i cant switch to Windows now because my mainboards boot menu doesnt have option for booting specific drives. Also i dont want to do it (choosing OS) as i would have to connect my regular usb keyboard just for this task (usually i use bluetooth keyboard).

So the idea is:

1. For booting to proxmox i do nothing.
  2. For booting to windows i just put pendrive ( it is set as first device in boot priority), and grub there is by default set to windows (second) drive, with WAIT option set to 0 seconds.

It should be quite easy task to make such pendrive right? But i havent play arround/recover grub for long time so im asking here first. Also any fine tutorial about similar setup would be appreciated as i found only those about installing entire linux on pendrive.

if your motherboard doesnt have options to select a boot device, how do you intend on loading GRUB from USB?

2 Likes

I can set priority of whole groups (USB HDD, USB FDD, Internal HDD, CD ROM etc.) but not specific devices. So yes, I can set priority to boot USB sticks first and then internal drives after them. But i cant choose which Internal HDD should boot as first.

Owners of HP workstations like Z400 will know what i mean :slight_smile:

I think someone had it working with a hp prodesk 600 g2 mini, because you couldn’t boot from the builtin nvme drive.
So stupid.