Graphics Card sweet spot (Nov 2013)

Dear all-knowing forum:

I am about to fork out for an ASUS PB278Q (2560 x 1440) monitor and am looking for a decent graphics card to go with it.  I currently have a Radeon HD 7850 pushing a 1680 x 1050 monitor (Dell) and it provides decent enough performance on triple A titles for me.  My question is, what is the sweet spot for a GPU to go with the 2560 x 1440 monitor that will be able to achieve decent results for triple A titles on high to ultra settings? I don't have a budget; i.e. unlimited.  BTW I don't consider the 780Ti or Titan as 'sweet spot' GPUs.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

probably a R9 290 with an aftermarket cooler they should be coming soon

780 overclocked or r9 290 with better cooling of some kind be it aftermarket cooling or water overclocked should do the job.

I would wait and see what happens with the R9 290x once the aftermarket coolers come out. Right now I think the R9 290 is a nice bang for buck or maybe 2x 7970s  they are going pretty cheep and paired up would do nice at 2560x1440.

A 290 is a lot of performance at a reasonable price. Above 1080p, it's within spitting distance of the best you can buy in a single GPU, and it's only 400 bucks.

The common theme appears to be R9 290.  I will wait until the non-reference models arrive and see what they can do on the noise front, as I hear the R9 290 is rather noisy although it is  a good performer.  Thanks all that have responded so quickly.