GPU with RDP support

Is there any inexpensive graphics card that would work over RDP connection? I’ve tried GTX1050 , but when I do instead of it I get Generic one - so it means awful opengl support.
I remember I got ok opengl when I connected to my laptop with built in Intel card - but sadly it is not an option on my regular workstation (no built in intel there).
I’ve read some rumours there is a registry hack that makes all gpu work over RDP connection - but haven’t found any details on it.

I can’t find info on which GPUs work anywhere - apart from Tesla (but it is far from inexpensive).

There’s no such thing as a GPU that works better or worse over RDP. Your options are to either put Windows server on the host machine to get remote FX or use VNC.

At work we use an old quadro card in a rdp machine for the CAD people on other site’s.

I can be that you have to set an GPO (translated as my system language is different )
computer config > admin templates > windows components > remote desktop services > remote desktop session host > remote environment > use hardware default card for all rdp sesions

hope this helps

@Adbus : I’m just basing it on the info I’ve found over the net. VNC is not an option as the performance is just awful (tried different options with it and it seems it is just a waste of time). WHat I know is that on my laptop RDP worked with opengl and “proper” gpu , and on my main machine it does not. So thus I’m looking for either a card that would do the trick (if it is the cause of the problem) or a windows setting.

@Xeon_1 : Can you send me a screenshot of the tool where I can switch the setting? I’m using localized version of Windows and I can’t find tool you’re writing about on Windows 10 Pro.

you need the group policy editor.
Every windows has this on board (except home iirc)
if you enter gpedit.msc in the run window it should popup.
Pictures from the net

thank you - you rock :slight_smile: .
Tried the settings and I still see GDI Generic is being used. Ehhhhh… damn, I’m getting tired of this whole “remote” thing…

Did you change it on the host?
it could be that this setting effects only server os’s.
But i can’t be sure as i only have windows server to test with.

Windows server is indeed the only option for using a GPU via RDP only. If VNC performance is poor then I would suggest changing the encoder. TightVNC’s default encoder is pretty good at being responsive without losing too much on quality.

Dont just take my word for it, google about “RDP RemoteFX” which does exactly what you’re asking to do.

tried various encoders and still vnc performance over lan is terrible when connecting to Windows host. RDP is much better.
Windows server shouldn’t be the only option - as it seems proper settings are present in regular Windows.
Also I had it working on my laptop (before it fried) - and it was regular Windows 10 Home with RDP patch applied (without it remote desktop was not available).
Will try a fresh install in vm tomorrow and check how it works there. But I’m getting a bit disheartened by the piling problems with remote access over lan to my regular workstation.

nope, my Home-“Server” is windows 8.1 Pro and it works just fine with integrated graphics (some Aspeed thing, it’s a server board).

Does the card even work properly when you connect a monitor to it?

Have you tried something like Teamviewer just for the lulz to test?

Also what is your actual windows version on the remote?

What “works just fine”? openGL? Can you use 3d programs on it?

Have never tried this. Maybe I misunderstood the OP but I thought it was just about RDP in general?

No he wants acceleration for I’m guessing some CAD application or something openGL wise. I’m baffled as to how he had it working before. Theres not enough info in the post though.

Ah well if that’s the case it’s probably going to be tricky.

I just tried it on one of my test machine.
fired up a game and 1 of the cards in the machine was loaded as you can see in the bellow screen shot
screen3
i also fired up heaven bench in opengl mode and acceleration also worked.
screen4
The card is crap and old so that is why the fps is low but it does show the acceleration is working

one thing you should keep i mind if your rdp settings are too low the acceleration is turned off.
in my experience if you want acceleration to work normaly you need 32bit colour (Depending on your app this could be lowerd) and set the connection speed to LAN.
This last one is the most important
imageimage

System specs
R710 server
2 quadro 600 card (really old)
96gb ram
windows server 2016 but in the past i also had it working with windows 8
Hope this helps you

1 Like

thx guys .
I’ve been searching the net I’m getting more and more confused. Some sites/forums claim remotefx is necessary for the native host gpu to be used - some claim it isn’t.
Some claim you need a “special” gpu - some that any DX11 compatible will do.
Some say you need Windows server - some that you don’t. Some say you need special settings. Argh!

Anyways I’ll give Windows Server a go :slight_smile: . So far using gpedit to tweak the settings didn’t help.

As for the laptop where it worked - it was a dell inspiron with built in card. CAD apps and 3d pritner apps worked remotely through RDP and none complained about insufficient gpu and haven’t showed “GDI Generic” gpu device when running (this is what currently Rhino shows when I’m connected to my workstation ). If I remember correctly the laptop had Windows 7 initially then upgraded to Windows 10 Home (I think RDP has been enabled with https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/ ). Can’t really tell with 100% certainty as in the end it fried - and that’s the reason I’m trying to set it up on my regular workstation.

Windows home can’t be an rdp host normaly.
It could be that microsoft is diversifying the os even more and not giving win pro/ent all bells and wistels.
RemoteFX needs a DX11 or higher GPU only thing is that you have to enable remote fx with special server roles.
The example in my previous post is with a fresh install of windows server.

yeah, I know - that’s why I’ve written I’ve used RDPwrap on the installation that worked :smiley: .
Super annoying I can’t get it to work on new workstation - no matter Home or Pro version is being used. Signed up for WindowsServer trial and have my fingers crossed.