GPU too loud for no reason

Hey,
I have a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX590 and I use it to play mostly low requirements games that would run at 130 FPS or more at max settings at 1440p. Most of these are indie or small games that require relatively little GPU resources and unfortunately they don’t always have FPS limiter in the settings so my GPU will try to output as many FPS as possible and just be too damn loud and distracting ruining my immersion. Is there something I can do to address this or do I need to buy another GPU? Thanks.

Loud as in fans revving too hard? Sound of bearings knocking?..

Use Vsync, sometimes it’s under display not graphics and choose 60hz

If not at all you can force Vsync in the Radeon settings

Good luck finding it though, over the years amd keeps putting “value add” bloat in and it’s hard to find anything you need

Yeah, fans revving.

I use the open AMD driver for Linux, but maybe it can be done with some conf file.

F to pay respects

Wait… have you even checked that you dont have a cryptominer that runs while you are gaming? Even Linux isnt immune from that.

• turn on vsync
  • go into radeon setting and use chill to limit frame-rate, and limit frame rate when not moving
  • look into under-volting. you may well get better performance and less noise.

I am on linux so I don’t have most of the options you are describing since I am not using the proprietary driver.
However I managed to block some of the higher clock states in the driver settings which effectively both reduced power and frequency and reduced FPS from 130 to 50-70 and now the card runs quieter. Thanks.

I hate to resurrect an old thread but a friend of mine nearly sold his 1080Ti because of something similar, one day it just got very loud and he couldn’t figure out why until he realized he had moved the GPU bios switch last time he was dusting out his PC.
A lot of the 480 / 580 and 590 GPU’s I’ve ran into have a dual bios, some will just have it as a backup but others will have a quiet mode and performance mode. (which usually just changes the fan curves).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.