GPU Survey/Blog - What GPUs have you used?

Going through some AdoredTV YT vids, I eventually stumbled on some GPU history. I know that I tend to favor Nvidia. The video made me ask the question: Why have I used the GPUs that I have used? Why the Nvidia bias? What I am actually interested in is other people’s take on the subject.

What GPUs you have used, and why did you buy them? What did you think of them back then and what do you think of them now?

I will go ahead and list the GPUs I have used as an example. Table organized by date of purchase. Pictures below. I mostly buy used high-end or new cheap GPUs.

Chip Designer AIE Model Interface Life Status Misc Notes
Nvidia XFX GeForce 6800 AGP Died randomly Looked fancy. Terrible performance.
ATI Sapphire HD 3650 (?) AGP Died Good performance, death by OC.
ATI ATI (?) non-HD X1950 (?) AGP Arrived Dead DoA. Fans spin up, no video out. Would have had incredible performance.
Nvidia MSI 8800 GTS 384 MB (x3) PCI-E Died Someone liquidated their SLI setup. Decent FPS. Were very large, ran hot, noisy and then died (all of them).
ATI HIS HD 4650 (?) AGP Gifted Had a fancy IceQ cooler. Very ugly and outdated, but was quiet. Current status unknown.
Nvidia Sparkle 9500 GT PCI-E Lives! Large heatsink, no fan, terrible performance. Was paired with dedicated PCI dual-fan config for silent operation.
ATI Sapphire(?) HD 4850 PCI-E Not dead yet :frowning: Good performance but fancy pure copper heatsink not contacting with die lead to constant overheating. Fixed by reseating heatsink but 3-pin fan runs constantly very noisy, even if idle. Removed from personal PC as a result. Used in sister’s PC after that 560 Ti died. Would have replaced with my old 550 Ti, instead of this, from my old build, but that one had died too. Very sad this card still lives.
Nvidia EVGA GeForce 550 Ti PCI-E Died Purchased because was cheap, lower-power and NOT an ATI card. Probably died due to mishandling.
Nvidia EVGA GeForce 580 PCI-E Sold Bought from and sold back to ebay. Was too power hungry and noisy. Blower designs are just bad. So what designs are good?
Nvidia Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB PCI-E Alive![3650_agp 567x404](/uploads/default/original/3X/e/4/e40dd7b6a1abb8401c88bdbb5e759db6b6a49e06.jpg)
Nvidia MSI GeForce 560 PCI-E Died Was very quiet, stylish, great performance and a sizable heatsink with a dual-fan design. Purchased for sis. Very sad it died.
Nvidia MSI GeForce 1050 Ti 4GB PCI-E Just born Very quiet (fan whine fixed after burn-in period), cheap, lower power, excellent performance, runs hot (45*C idle, 75+ load).

Pictures!

6800_agp

GeForce 6800. Terrible performance. Was outdated at purchase time but compatible with mobo. Was either this or a PCI/onboard graphics adapter.

3650_agp

HD 3650. Newer tech on an outdated AGP interface. Excellent card with excellent performance considering the interface limitations.

x1950_agp

DoA. Nuff said. This was a beast in it’s day, but not for me. For me? It let me down. A large portion of why I don’t like ATI is because of this DoA card. It raised my hopes so high and then dashed them, thoroughly.

9500gt

9500 GT. First PCI-E graphics card. Better performance than HD 3650 on AGP but was held back by the non-GDDR memory. The GDDR enabled similar cards were impressive.

8800_gts

Second PCI-E graphics card (x3). Very good FPS, but large, power hungry and guaranteed to die due to manufacturing defects.

4650_his

HIS HD 4650 on AGP. Terrible outdated technology, but was reasonably quiet and very cheap upgrade for older PC.

550_ti

Was so-so in performance, noise, temps and price. Would still be using today if had not died one day. :frowning:

HD 4850. Was $50. Overheating fixed via-remounting heatsink. Still noise machine squared however. Still works :frowning:

GTX_580

$180, Worked, but noisy under load. Sold off.

GTX_660

GTX 660. Ugly workhorse GPU. Was always at 100% and silent. :slight_smile: Still lives.

560_ti

That MSI 560 design is so pretty. Still is actually, but is dead.

1050_ti

Compared to my old 660, MSI’s 1050Ti is smaller, cheaper, uses less power, is even quieter and even performs better. And yes I have benchmarks to show that. <3 technology.

ATI has given me a lot of dead, noisy cards and lots of number of driver issues over the years so I just stopped buying them after a while. The ATI APUs seem unaffected however, and I have a high opinion of them. So, I have decided to try to overcome my bias by purchasing an ATI card for my next dGPU, probably a low-end vega model or vega refresh. FreeSync is just too awesome and giving money to Nvidia is just bad for competition in the marketplace as long as ATI can make a video card that does not sound like a vacuum cleaner under load.

Formatting tips:

for a table
in markdown do
this as shown
below this line
for | a | table
--- | --- | ---
in | markdown | do
this | as | shown
below | this | line

--- #$for a horizontal line

Practice website: stackedit.io/editor
Also: Drag and drop works for pictures

And Here is the vid btw:

2 Likes

In terms of desktop GPUs I am running a r9 fury X

Laptop manufacturer GPU int or ded manufacturer status
Toshiba int ATI/Amd dead
Lenovo b575 ded amd alive off of a usb
Lenovo Thinkpad E570 dedicated Intel/Nvidia daily driver

In terms of laptops, my dad has always gotten me the amd/ATI ones, because it was more cost effective. All I did back in the day was use them to browse the web and look at PDFs.

When I was able to get my own laptop, I ended up going with a Thinkpad. When I got the Thinkpad deal, there wasn’t an option for AMD so I ended up with the Intel/Nvidia

1 Like

Which one?

XFX r9 fury X

These are the ones I remember anyway. I think there was something between the 9700 and the 6970 but damned if I can remember it. Maybe a Radeon 8000 or 9000 card? I know it would’ve been ATi.

Brand Board MFG Model
ATi ATi Rage 128 (this would’ve been around 1999)
ATi ATi Radeon All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro
ATi/AMD Company Model
AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
nVidia ASUS G555M (ASUS laptop)
AMD XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX OC
nVidia EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

If I have even an inkling of an opportunity I’ll be purchasing a Vega 56, hopefully soon sticking an EK block on it and my 1700X, something, then profit! The 1070 goes to a friend. I hate the software that comes with the card, and I’ll take a sidegrade at a loss to get Wattman back if I have to. Performance in a vacuum is good though.

Wow… some Matrox card with a Voodoo2 accelerator was first I think, Voodoo3, Voodoo5 5500 (I still have that one), Asus Geforce 3 something, ATI X800 something, Zotac GTX 670, Asus GTX 760, Asus GTX 970, Sapphire Fury Nitro (current), bunch of Mac stuff and tons of cards in between or in additional systems…

So … a few. :grin:

1 Like
Chip Designer AIE Model Interface Life Status Misc Notes
AMD ASUS R 270X 4GB PCI-e 3.0 alive gifted to friend, liked to have the compute power on hand
AMD Power Color RX 480 8GB PCI-e 3.0 using I needed the upgrade, and best value card while having decent linux support

I’m still young compared to most on this forum, so that’s all I’ve done.

I remember drooling over the Matrox pro cards… although I cannot remember why, I certainly wasn’t a professional anything at the time!

GeForce MX 440 PCI GPU (not sure of the brand)
Leadtek A400TDH GeForce 6800 AGP8X 128MB DDR VGA DVI-I TV Out
PNY 9800 GT
nVIDIA 8800 GT (flashed to 9800 GT)
PNY GTX 1080 Ti
Gigabyte GTX 760 2 GB (GV-N760OC-2GD)
1 GB XFX 7850
PNY GTX 2 GB 670

Btw if anyone gets on me about using an AMD card I only used it when I sometimes used my son’s pc because it was more convenient. I quickly got rid of that card and got him the GTX 760 thank goodness. PhysX / GameWorks 4 Life!

I have a pretty rational approach to GPU upgrades. I always seem to buy a new game, it runs poorly on what I have, then I buy a new GPU, jacking the games price up by a few hundred dollars.

Rendition Verite | PCI | The 1st 3D accelerator on the market.

3DFX | PCI | Voodoo 1, 2, 3

ATI | AGP | Rage 3D

Nvidia | AGP | TNT 1, 2

Nvidia | AGP | Geforce 1, 2, 3, 4 - I remember my brother giving me Need for Speed and I was like ‘See what you made my do. I had to buy a Geforce because of your gift. Thanks a lot…’

Nvidia | AGP | 7600? - At the time it was the best AGP card Nvidia made.

Nvidia | PCI-e | 9600 - My brother is still using it.

Nvidia | PCI-e | GTX 465 - I planned to mod it to be a Quadro, but RivaTuner stopped supporting that driver hack as soon as I bought it. HOT & LOUD & CRASH prone. Hated it. I hacked it so much to keep it cool I just threw it away because I didn’t want anyone else to suffer as I did. It still worked.

Nvidia | PCI-e | EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 - My favorite GPU. Beautiful, Factory overclocked and I did SLI later when I could afford it. In SLI it still gave good performance. I gave one to my nephew and sold the other one.

Nvidia | PCI-e | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - I needed the horsepower because Just Cause 3 does not support SLI and the look matches my build. Working great and I have no need to upgrade ATM.

This is a pretty card.

In no particular order:

Manufacturer AIB Model Interface Life Status Notes
Nvidia ? FX5500 PCI Retired Needed this to troubleshoot old machine, friend gifted it to me
(Nvidia) ? GeForce2 AGP ? Says “2850” and “64M” on the PCB, no clue what it is.
Nvidia ? 8600GT PCI Zombiefied Replaced capacitors, now it lives again!
ATI ? 264VT2 ISA Factory new It is older than I am. Cardboard box got lost at some point.
AMD Sapphire GPro4200 PCIe Working Sister is using this, will get put to better use soon
AMD Sapphire R9 FuryTri-X PCIe Working My workhorse!
AMD Samsung Mobility Radeon HD 5470 intergrated Working First ever GPU owned
AMD Sapphire R9 270X PCIe Sold Farewell, old friend!

Edit: Forgot my 270X… And am adding in some more info on other cards.

Brand MFG Model
nVidia unknown Geforce2 MX200
ATI ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
nVidia unknown Geforce 6200
ATI Diamond Radeon HD 4870x2
ATI VisionTek Radeon HD 6870
nVidia MSI Geforce GTX 970

And I’m quite liking the Vega for my next card.

Pictures! (Sorry in advance if I picked the wrong AIE partner model.)

@bedHedd

XFX r9 fury X

XFX r9 fury X - Very pretty enthusiast card. Did not know XFX was still in business.

@Steinwerks

ATI Rage 128
ATI Rage 128

All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro
All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro

radeon_6970
Radeon HD 6970 - This must have been a very large upgrade from wonder 9700.

XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX OC
XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX OC - Blower design. Was it not noisy?

GTX 1070 FTW
GTX 1070 FTW - This card has a very nice all-black backpane and very nice cooler design. It should need it considering those dual 8-pins.

@noenken Retro time!

Matrox card with a Voodoo2_ISA
Matrox card with a Voodoo2_ISA. An ISA graphics card. Impressive.

voodoo3_agp
voodoo3 AGP

Voodoo5 5500
Voodoo5 5500 AGP - Very impressive dual-fan design on this early model. But power hungry, see that molex supplementary power adapter? This must have been a significant upgrade over the Voodoo3.

ASUS V7700TI_based on geforce 3 reference design
ASUS V7700TI_based on geforce 3 reference design - Not sure if this is the right card.

pcie
ATI X800xl.pcie - Wow! A PCI-E graphics card and part of their high end series (but not ultra-high end). This must have been incredible while also remaining nice and quiet.

Zotac GTX 670
Zotac GTX 670 - Was there any card in between the X800xl and this one? There’s an 8 year gap here lol.

Asus GTX 970
Asus GTX 970 - Pretty

Sapphire Fury Nitro
If you look closely, the third fan is not over the PCB.

@anadon Welcome to the world of PC gaming. Be glad the era of ISA/PCI/AGP graphics cards is now behind us.

R 270X 4GB
R 270X 4GB

rx480

@DeViLzzz GameWorks is basically nvidia’s implementation of planned obsolesce. It is bad for games, gamers and the industry as a whole. Historically, ATI has always had the better technology and implemented it in a way that benefits the industry, e.g. Vulcan, FreeSync.

GeForce MX 440 PCI referenceDesign
GeForce MX 440 PCI referenceDesign

Leadtek A400TDH GeForce 6800 AGP8X
Leadtek A400TDH GeForce 6800 AGP8X - I am in awe of the originality of this HSA.

PNY 9800 GT
PNY 9800 GT - This card was an x8xx part and did not require additional power. Impressive.

nVIDIA 8800 GT
nVIDIA 8800 GT

PNY GTX 1080 Ti
PNY GTX 1080 Ti - That HSA…o.o…

Gigabyte GTX 760 2 GB
Gigabyte GTX 760 2 GB

XFX 7850
XFX 7850 - XFX lives!

PNY GTX 2 GB 670
PNY GTX 2 GB 670

@Positron Retro time! Reloaded.

Rendition Verite_v1000 by AIB partner Creative3D - This card was impressive for it’s day.

TombRaider2
Caption: “Polygon seams? Not over Rendition’s four bit sub pixel precision”. Back when 10 fps was totally playable.

pci
Voodoo3.pci

ati agp rage 3d
ati agp rage 3d - So this ATI card ran cool enough to not need a heatsink and supported SIMM ram upgrades. Impressive.

NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Ultra
NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Ultra - That fan is adorable.

[skippedNvidia AGP Geforce 1, 2, 3, 4 models]

galaxy
Nvidia 7600 .by.galaxy on AGP - Very fancy card and unique heatsink design for it’s time.

9600_gt_by_bfg
Modern Integrated graphics perform better than this card. Upgrade!

byZotac
The GTX 400 series was one of Nvidia’s most powerhungry architectures ever. To this day it remains a burden to those unfortunate enough to own one. Couple that with a blower design and well…be prepared to pull your hair out.

EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2
EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 - Stylish. Already posted above, but this card looks so nice it must be posted again.

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - MSI uses this HSA on many of their modern cards.

@MazeFrame

fromDell
FX5500.PCI. OEM design and labels from Dell.

probablyGeForce2
Unknown 2850 and 64M something that is probably a GeForce 2.

8600GT_byXFX

ATi_264VT2
ATi_264VT2 - That ISA interface…

GPro4200
Sapphire GPro4200 - Why do you do this to perfectly good hardware Apple? The shame.

R9 FuryTri-X
R9 FuryTri-X - Has backplate + super long HSA. Excellent top clearance for additional fan in many cases.

@SudoSaibot

nVidia GeForce2 MX200
nVidia GeForce2 MX200, PNY model shown, actual design may differ.

Radeon 9800 Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro

GeForce 6200
GeForce 6200 - No supplementory power connector? Nice.

Radeon HD 4870x2
Diamond.Radeon HD 4870x2 - X2 model, meaning dual-GPUs on one PCB. Basically native CrossFire.

Radeon HD 6870
Visiontek Radeon HD 6870 - This card must have run very quiet compared to the 4870x2 model.

msi_Geforce GTX 970
MSI Geforce GTX 970 - Popular HSA. For good reason.

So most of us buy both ATI+ nvidia cards, but some only ever buy nvidia. No one only ever buys ATI.

The very first video card I bought was a Voodoo 3 3500. It was a sexy card. I still have it, the pod, and it all still works. It was very interesting to look back at this card after having used DVI for so long. The connection that the 3500 used looked like an extended DVI. In spite of it having only 16MB of memory, this card absolutely crushed the adored 32MB Riva TNT2 Ultra. Glide vs OpenGL vs DirectX aside, if you did any 3d rendering back then, you wanted a Voodoo in spite of the limited memory.

Then I upgraded to a Voodoo 5 5500, which served me well for a good long while. Except with Unreal Tournament 2003, which was unplayable with the card. I’m 99% certain that there was code in that game to specifically gimp 3dfx cards, as the 5500 could easily handle UT 2004, and many other games that came out after UT 2003 (I kept the 5500 for a number of years after I upgraded, loved me some 3dfx action).

After that came the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and all its cooling problem. I ended up ditching that around the time Oblivion came out, but it was a good enough card.

Its replacement was the HIS Radeon HD I believe 1950? This card was good to me for a very long time. The only problem I had with it was HIS’s drivers. First off, the generic Catalyst drivers would not work with this card. Second, HIS EOL’d this card far sooner than I think they should have. They banished the drivers for this card to an archive page that, in 2008, was limited to ~150KB/s download speed. For a 300MB+ file.

From the HIS Radeon I went on to an ASUS Radeon HD 6870, and got it just in time for Deus Ex Human Revolution. This card was super badass, and still serves in one of my kids’ computers. This was the first card where I encountered difficulties with AMD’s Linux drivers. They were really touch and go with fglrx for the last couple of years of its life. The only reason I upgraded was because opportunity struck.

An Asus Radeon R9 270 was on sale, and I snarfed it up. Also a very fine card. I also ran into issues with the AMD drivers in Linux with this card, though some of that was my own misunderstanding (I might still be misunderstanding, sadly I haven’t had a whole lot of time for gaming in general :frowning: ). In this case I upgraded to a card that was on AMD’s list of cards supported in Linux.

The AMD RX 480. This one was a refurb card on Newegg. Picked it up for like $130. It’s been a fine card, but I’m already replacing it. Mainly because my friend wants to co-opt it for a mining rig.

So I snarfed up a Gigabyte(?) 750ti on the cheap. It works. I find at this point I’m not particularly interested in gaming with the highest settings possible. I’d rather have the extra scratch in my pocket. Especially when the awesome games that I’m interested in these days aren’t particularly graphics intensive. Overwatch, Tacoma, Don’t Starve all come to mind very quickly.

1 Like

The XFX card is actually this one, although I truncated the name a bit because XFX has horribly long naming schemes:

It’s the (deep breath) Radeon RX 480 RS 8GB with Hard Swap XXX Edition gasp

Chip Designer | GPU Model | Life Status | Notes

ATI | Radeon X1300 | Unknown | The computer itself was my parent’s computer, the computer is dead but the GPU may not be, this computer was in a Dell XPS 410(?), seemed unbalanced as it was paired with a Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Intel | GMA Graphics (unknown) | Deceased | The iGPU came with the first laptop I had (Dell XPS M1330), boy was it slow compared to what I have now, makes Intel HD graphics today feel like quite a relief as the iGPU here has about as much computational performance as a Raspberry Pi (2 & 3)'s iGPU.

AMD | HD 7640D | Still Working | The HP laptop this iGPU is in still works but I already gave it to my brother who wanted one, a shame about it’s horrid design. Performance wise was leaps and bounds ahead of the old laptop it ain’t funny, but it was always running really HOT. Battery life was bad as well as build quality.

Intel | HD 4400 | Still Working | This iGPU is in my Surface Pro tablet, crazy enough thermals are much less of an issue than with the HP laptop even though it’s in a tablet.

Intel | HD 4000 | Still Working | The Dell laptop it’s in is still working, not much said there except it’s my Linux machine when I want to play around with the OS. Messed up the Windows Installation when trying out Qubes OS tho.

AMD | R9 390 | Still Working | First desktop computer build, the R9 390 was my choice of card and blows away the other GPU choices I made completely. Paired with a 4K Monitor though and playing new games can be a struggle at high resolutions.

AMD | R7 360 | Still Working | I was going to attempt hardware passthrough with Linux, but that proved to be too ambitious of a project considering how little I knew of Linux then. so I used this with a couple of other parts and started a 2nd build. However due to a defective CPU and PSU issues when I used another CPU with it, the GPU is going to be replaced with an APU (which is a downgrade but hey, can’t have my computer shutting down on me).

AMD | HD 7480D | Still Working | With the issues I had on the build listed above, I used the iGPU from the APU and it is quite underperforming at stock speeds for games although normal use this APU was actually somewhat sufficient.
But, the iGPU overclocks like a bat out of hell. I have it running 1300 MHz stable! Meaning I got this GPU to match Intel HD 4400 or edge it out with high clocks. This APU and iGPU is getting replaced soon with A10 7860K and R7 Graphics (Godavari).

Notice the lack of NVidia, although I did try out a sibling’s laptop that had a GTX 950M in it.

1 Like

We need more cards like the GPro. Ultra low power, tiny formfactor and display port (well, mini DP).
I like it for what it is. One day, I will have a monitor wall!

That’s still PCI, but the interface is not completely wired.

Where’s your list?

1 Like

geforce 5500 agp : still worked when last removed
XFX 9600 gso : dead sli first oc
EVGA 450 sli : one still lives but death by mmo
XFX 7750 cf both still live : test cards
XFX 7870 both still live : do not know what I going to with them
HIS 280 cf : using them in linux builds
Sapphire 290x cf : one lives the other a bit flaky
Sapphire Fury cf : in use on main

I missed a few in the early days but I have slept since then and I was not into hardware as much as I am now.

1 Like