GPU power capping/limit

Hello!

I just got a 3 year old media server and started to dust it out and reinstall the os on it. It has the following parts:
Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI + AMD 3955WX + 4*8GB 3200 DDR4 + Silverstione sst-st1200-pts (1200W) + Nvidia quadro RTX 5000 + Nvidia Sync II + latest OS and driver (Win 11 pro 22h2 + nvidia 535.98)
Everything went great until I started to benchmark the system. The GPU performs really poorly like it scores 1/5 it’s normal score that others measured with the same GPU. After trying out everything I just noticed that in Furmark the GPU power is sitting at 20-24% att all time (my point was 380-400 and it should be at 2400 for the 1080p benchmark preset, also in notch builder my score was 3200 and should be around 21 000). I checked the nvidia-smi and the power limit is set to the maximum (230w) but it is usually at 45w when i check it under load.

I tried the following:

• Replacing the gpu’s power cable from Y to two separate cables

• Changing the nvidia “Power management mode” to “prefere maximum performance”, manually selecting physix processor to the RTX 5000, allowing the performance counters for all users

• Disabling D.O.C.P, disabling above 4G decoding, disabling re-size BAR support, disabling sr-iov support, manually selecting pcie gen3 x16 mode for that slot

• Disabling nvidia sync
    Everything else is configured for best performance in windows (power profile…etc)

Could anyone suggest me anything where to continue so that I could get all the performance out of the quadro card? (I don’t know if the card is deffective but after visual inspection I don’t see any clue)

1 Like

I’m not an expert, but I wonder if it’s lacking cooling and is throttling down to 45W. I had this happen with a laptop I’d donated and it’d seen some abuse, bsd was creating fake load to keep temps down, and I could only conclude that the heatsink or fan was damaged.

1 Like

Good answer above I agree you should check the cooling.
Let me look at my notes there are a few commands you could try in Nvidia-smi if you haven’t already.
1st: nvidia-smi -q -d SUPPORTED_CLOCKS
Then from the list of clocks find the highest memory and core clocks it allows.
2nd: example: nvidia-smi -ac 4001,2145
those are for a GTX 1660 yours will be different.
Manually setting those will still allow it to clock down when idle or should.
Watch your temps while under load with something like GPUZ.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.