GPU Passthrough with KVM: Have Your Cake and Eat it Too

I'll try a fresh install of the VM first, I doubt I'll get to replacing the nVidia card till Saturday when I have the time to set it up, so your basically saying create another VM edit the XML config then install Windows? I just want to get the steps in the correct order..lol might as well give it every chance I can to work.

Thanks again.

• If you current VM has all of the config changes and you don't mind losing your data, you could just boot it from iso and reinstall Windows to the same disk.
  • You could also create a new VM, make the config changes, then install Windows to it.

Thank you Sir, I'll have to use the second option since I've deleted the VM I was using, at this stage anything I run in a KVM is just testing configurations and learning.

Well that's interesting......

I shut my computer down, install a secondary drive to use for my next VM, boot back up, open gpart to wipe the drive and configure a partition, as soon as gpart tried to open all the monitors went dark, the computer rebooted and I'm staring at a grub rescue prompt. It's not going to be a good evening....lol

Did you delete the right partition?

never got a chance, gpart never opened....

Make A live Distro of gparted and check your hard drive integrity

k will do...thanks!

Kali can also do that too

I'm pretty sure the Fedora disk I have if I boot it as live it will do it also....probably that crappy old Seagate hybrid drive I've been using as a boot drive for Linux, it's seen a lot of use.

And yes....one partially dead Seagate drive later I'm back running, I'm now thinking the drive was the cause of some of my stability issues...lots of bad blocks, I'll just add it to the stack to use for target practice :)

So I just pulled the nVidia card while I was working on it and installed the 270x Hopefully I'll get time to start the next KVM project over the weekend.

Does this need to be the same GPU in order to set it up? My motherboard supports IMMOU and the AMD visualization, but if I put in a second GPU it does not boot to Ubuntu.

you need two gpus the igpu can be used for the host. The gpu that is passed through needs to be AMD since NVIDIA broke it on their end but NVIDIA could be used for the host (haven't tried it)

I have a 760 and I'd be putting in a HD 6570, I have tried and it wont boot to the OS, I've also tried it with my HD 4850 but that does not work either. But in theory it should work?

yse you may have to black list mesa/fglrx and set the the radeon as a pci stub

Success!

Well well, I finally got the pass through to work with the 270x.....

Passed through the Intel NIC also...

And pulled this score from the Windows Experience....lol

And lives in it's own monitor for now....

So I'm off to give Steam a try....

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice...it's much appreciated.

1 Like

Awesome!

Have you had any issues restarting the VM?

Once out of about 4 or 5 reboots of the VM (had to do a forced shutdown of the VM waited a few seconds then started it back up and it booted fine, I think the VM was ok it just didn't have a video signal, I did not reboot the host), just finished playing Borderlands 2 for about half a hour, graphics look great, sound had a little lag at first but seemed to settle down after getting into the game a few minuets. I'm moving my GW2 files over from the file server (40g) then I'll give it a try, if it works out ok and the VM stays stable I'll try Photoshop and Illustrator tomorrow if they both work....then I can start working on my final setup for the VM.

In case anyone cares the VM is set up with 4 of the eight cores from a 8370, 16g of the 32g in the host, and a separate 500g WD hard drive, and of course the R9 270x Sapphire card.

To my surprise GW2 actually runs fairly decent in the KVM, I've got a little lag that comes and goes and I haven't been in a world event with a ton of other people but I suspect it will choke on that but we'll see...I actually thought it would be worse than it is, I do have reserve resources I can throw at the VM but I wanted to try this setup first.

I tried to run Fallout 3 and the mouse is all over the place like the polling is messed up, but it works ok in GW2 and in Boaderlands2, anyone got any ideas about that?

Did your pass through the mouse or are you using the vnc to control. Since Linux can poll at higher rates than Windows default it can be a bit wonky with VNC but if you pass through it should be a little bit smoother.