GPU passthrough Sapphire Pulse RX 7800 XT crashes host

Does anyone have a working setup with a rx 7800 xt?
I did have a setup with an rx 6600xt on debian 12, which worked perfetctly fine, but with the rx 7800 xt the host crashes and restarts as soon as the vm starts. Unfortunately I was not able to dig up any information so far. I did find a gitlab and a reddit post, but in those situations the host crashed when the vm was shutting down.

That’s why I choose to skip RDNA3. You’d better stick with RX 6000, or RTX 4000 series.

1 Like

Same problem but with XFX 7800XT.
From all the talks about PCI reset bug I thought it was about not being able to pass the GPU again to a VM after VM shutdown without host reboot. Nobody mentioned these GPUs not working at all.

I managed to get it to work. It even shuts down and restarts without crashing. I kind of feel stupid, because Wendell suggested the solution in one of his vfio videos :rofl:

Anyway here is the fix: Use a vbios rom
How to: Home · Wiki · Risingprism / Single GPU Passthrough · GitLab → go to 6) Preparation and placing of the ROM file and 8) Attaching the GPU to your VM → Adding your GPU and your ROM

Pre-dumped vbios: VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp

Well, shit… back to square one. It did a couple benchmark runs yesterday and it worked. Today the host crashes as soon as the vm shuts down.

Hello
your troubles are frustrating also for me. Just now Im in process of choosing new GPU for 4K gaming and it’s obvious that I shall ignore any Radeon 7xxx series although I’d love to have speed of 7900XTX. Instead I’d should prefer RTX 4080 SUPER to have flawless VFIO setup :frowning: Thats sad as 4080SUPER is slightly slower however up to 25% more expensive :frowning:

Im big fan of AMD (proud owner of 1x Ryzen 7950X, 1x Ryzen 3900X and 1 Ryzen 2400G), but AMD sucks so badly in this GPU matter :frowning:

I wish u good luck with your setup and keep us informed if you manage to find some workaround

BR, raven4_CZ