GPU Passthrough, how is it performance-wise?

I have two GPU’s the weaker one is on the box. I think I could get my PC to consume less power while browsing the web or wtv regular PC stuff.

I have two monitors and I can plug the weaker card to HDMI and use the VM with DP. I would like to be able to use two monitors with the VM.

I am just worried about how is GPU passthrough performance-wise. It’s just one setup for all games and I can run all my games so it looks promising.

I’m excited thinking about this because this would solve many woes of gaming on Linux.

I already located IOMMU and VM support on BIOS. The install would be the RX 560 on PCI x4 slot and RX 590 on PCI x16 slot.

Any guides, tips, or info about this technology will be most helpful.

Very tired subject … plenty of videos and blog posts comparing bare metal to various hypervisor based gaming platforms.

Are you seeing a specific performance issue, maybe we can help with that?

I found two videos after a long list of a search on youtube that mention 95% of native performance. And found this [video] of problems with Ryzen passthrough(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_2dDaqBU4)

My main problem is when games have anti-cheat and anything can bork a game installation. Some time ago PoE wasn’t launching on Steam but shortly after we found a proton build that worked and then the patch was applied to a new GE version. This was ideal but not guaranteed to be the case always. So maybe If I can use GPU passthrough I could move away from Wine and avoid all the hassle.

I don’t have any experience with anti-cheat. I run one game under a VM, Elite Dangerous, and it doesn’t seem very strict as far as anti-cheat goes. The rest of my VMs are more server / application specific.

I am on Ryzen but it’s an old threadripper, which is easier than the highly limited desktop X70 boards.

Found a post with benchmarks

1 Like

Decided to simply dual boot

Great solution!