Gpu for multi monitor office work

Trying to add a second monitor to an office pc which is mainly using web browser/database/quickbooks. So I’m wondering what the cheapest gpu I can get for this task would be.

I was thinking of GTX 750 which is $53 at new egg.

What do you think?

Obviously, GPU power isn’t as important as connectivity.

Lots of those older/low-end GPUs don’t have the correct display outputs. As long as you’ve made sure it has the output ports that you need, the 750 should be fine.

2 Likes

Something else to consider is the resolution you plan on using. A 750 will handle 1080 and even 1440 no problem but if you try to push 4k@60hz you might run into some issues.

Usually the on board video has a couple of different outputs as well which should be fine for general use. So long as you dont mind mixing outputs you can get away with HDMI for one screen and VGA for another on a standard 1080 setup.

1 Like

You can get a GT 710 for cheaper. The PCI-e x1 can make it pretty versatile for other uses too.

If you don’t mind buying used, you can get older Quadro NVS cards for pretty cheap. I have a pile of NVS 295s I’ve used specifically for extra monitors.

1 Like

Cheapest would be a USB3->HDMI adapter. Note the 20% off coupon.

If you have a PCI slot, it’s worth spending twice as much on the cheapest real graphics card you can find, though. USB3 graphics can be a bit stuttery when your CPU is loaded.

Oh crap I almost forgot… this mobo has AGP :rofl:
I built this pc back in 2007, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4gb ram. The only upgrade since then is an SSD.
What do I look for, it looks like it has a pciex 1 port above it but its one of those really short length connectors…

as far as performance, I just want 1080p on both screens
Current monitors are VGA, but the secondary would probably be hdmi or vga

3 Likes

Pretty safe to say you don’t have USB3 then. Just get a cheap AGP video card, there are tons on amazon. Just google to check that it works in your version of windows.

1 Like

Nevermind I’m an idiot I just had to look to the left of the slot to see that it is pcie x16

You can get a very good gpu for your needs for under $50.

This thread has been an exciting roller-coaster.

1 Like

That mother board has 3 display outputs and you can use any 2 at the same time. You probably would still want the Graphics card as it would probably really slow down the system doing that anyways.

I’m running multiple desktops on intel skylake iGPU (2x 1920x1080)just fine. You don’t need one for office work.

If you have no iGPU, the cheapest Geforce or Radeon card you can find will do the job.

edit:
lol, saw the hardware. either way… find cheap GPU with the outputs you need from this decade. it should handle it.