GPU for IOMMU without reset issue

Hi.

I have a:
ASUS f2a85-v pro mobo (supports IOMMU)
AMD A10 5800K CPU
Radeon R7 260X

I’ve installed debian 9 (stretch) and launched windows 10 as a virtual machine without problems. Once I turn off virtual machine, I get a freeze or kernel panic.

I’d like to know if there is any hardware combination that does not have freezing issues ?

Leaving all vms (with GPU passed) turned on is a no go for me. Electricity costs, windows needs to reboot from time to time to apply updates.

Seems this is a common issue for select Radeon cards. You might need to go with a RX 570 or higher (Not Vega, that has a reset issue) if you want to stick with Radeon, or just go Nvidia and apply the KVM lying fix for Nvidia Code 43. When I tried with a GTX 1060, it did not have a reset bug.

1 Like

You could try this to reset the card :slight_smile:

Thx for this step by step tutorial. I will try this on my current setup. Have you shared this with others ? I wonder how is their experience with this.

No and it seems like most people in the thread sadly didn’t test it either.

I’ll test it with my Fresco Logic USB 3.0 controller which has a reset issue as soon as my new GPU comes in.

I can confirm that with NPT patch I have no pci reset issues.

The reset fix with devcon64 works with the Windows Fresco Logic drivers, but as soon as you install the official Fresco Logic drivers, devcon64 can’t control the device and you get the reset issue again.