GPD Win Max 2 (2023) Desktop Project

After seeing Wendells GPD Win Max 2, and already being in the market for a new laptop I decided to order one for myself.

Placed order Dec22, and was delivered Dec 31st. Since then I ordered a 4tb SSD to replace the 1tb that the model I ordered came with (Now its an external SSD)

The plane is to have a TB dock that has all my IO cables for my desk (Trying to score a deal on a TB 10gbe nic) and the oculink GPU for when I am using it as a desktop.

Once the Oculink dock is built I plan to test it against my Ryzen 7 5800 desktop and see what if any performance loss there is.

Parts List:

Project cost so far:

• GPD Win Max 2 (2023) (64gb + 1tb) = $1,212.38
  • Lexar NM790 4TB = $264.99
  • JHH Oculink Dock = $68.08
  • IOCREST Oculink Cable = $19.67
  • EVGA 550GM PSU = $74.20 (In Transit)
  • SGPC k49 = $58.30 (In Transit)
  • Gekry-H3AB-07 = $29.20

Total so far = $1724.82

4 Likes

Dell WD19TB is the temp Thunderbolt dock I had on hand already.
Ordered Gekry-H3AB-07 powered usb 3.0 hub for $29.20. I think I might need 1 more hub but enough to start with.

SSD upgrade video to give idea on how hard it is to work on

Note the laptop only supports single sided SSDs, thats what lead me ot the Lexar NM790 as best perf / $ compared to 990 pro (other top tier option at time I purchased SSD)

Still has 1 more m.2 slot probably will end up with a 2tb in there at some point.

2 Likes

This seems awesome, look forward to your project updates! I am planning on replacing my gaming laptop with a handheld when it dies, so this is particularly interesting!

1 Like

Had to cut some of the internal frame

Also seems to be weird on lanes

1 Like

One of my gpu fans needs replaced (have the fan didn’t tear it apart yet

Desktop

So Laptop
3d Mark = 12514 (85%)
Graphics = 13745 (87%)
CPU = 8304 (76%)

Desktop (Custom loop R7 5800X 32gb 3200 Ram)
3d Mark 14727
Graphics = 15711
CPU = 10872

Not terribly bad in perf loss could probably hit more CPU perf (no changes on power settings just installed drivers and connected GPU then hit go)

2 Likes

Having issues getting A770 and nvidia cards working not a ton of time to mess with tho

theres an nvidia card script to run to make it a little mroe compatible. may need the hidden hotkey for rebar access also

Doesn’t show up at all in gpuz or anything does power on (board I am using powers on with the laptop)

Did enable debug and resize bar

What PLX board are you using for yours?

So took it on a vacation this past week, had to order a new travel monitor, but was great and packed it all into 1 backpack

Ended up getting this stand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTK3N1J6
And this monitor (was on sale for $110)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09W2MNPV3

Was going to get higher refresh rate and only 1080p but honestly its travel set up so rather have the 1440p for smaller text for if I need to do any work.

Also just took the GPU from my desktop and didnt get the A770 working, but have a ton of other tasks on my plate so maybe one day.