GPD pocket indiegogo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

This looks really cool, and GPD in the past has been good about delivery. Thoughts?

1 Like

Exciting to see. I love that Ubuntu is a choice for an OS. I always wait until I see a product out with good reviews before I buy it, but I like to support projects I think are awesome too (just not the full amount they want for the product). I've been burned by vaporware before so I might be a little cynical though.

I think that little keyboard would drive me nuts. Then again, I know I'm picky. Eg. I'm writing this from my laptop with a full size keyboard attached. I saw a project I really was interested in that had open standards that was super tiny, and you could hook whatever you wanted up to it. If I find it I'll post it.

Cheers :)

I really think that intel should do things like this and not the little compute stick, this is where they should invest in mobile. Also creating a dock for this when I get home or go to work, with these specs.

4 Likes

That's what I was dreaming of when I was I kid and the most portable PC I had was a Toshiba Satellite with W95 on it. I wish I could afford one of those, damn! Whip that thing out everywhere, making me feel like I'm in the 80's

This was the dream of all those 80's tech executives on coke! There dream lives on.

1 Like

Why not just carry a folding BT keyboard for your phone and save the cash. If you really want a keyboard it would get you mostly there. I know you would not get the full OS of Linux or Windows but if you just needed to do email or documents on the go some and wanted to be compact. At least it would work with what most of us already have and save lots of $$

It's more the concept and less the actual practicality, I mean the specs are awesome, and building a doc for this and setting up wherever with potentially one cable, that is what I would want to see computing as. Plus if you get a blue tooth gamepad you could go anywhere and just set up and play, with double the ram of the gpd win this should also help the graphics as it can use more of the memory.

1 Like

This device is what I would want a smartphone to be, and it has so much power in such a form factor.

1 Like

Holy,they reaches over 2.2 milion dollars with a month left.Impressive stuff.

1 Like

If you divide the 2 million by the 5 thousand backers (give or take) you get 400, and that's the cost of it on kick starter, so they have 5 thousand orders already

1 Like

Missed the indiegogo campaign but its now on presale at geekbuying for $499, worth it?

A bunch of reviews are out, LTT does a good job

I'd wait for a price drop.

But looks like a really nifty gadget to throw Kali on

I like it, but it would be better if it had an M.2 slot. I mean for the WiFi but that would alow the used to change it for a 4G card or a SSD to make it more flexible

1 Like

Now it’s $495 always at geekbuying, not that big of a drop I guess :smile:

1 Like

Would be nice if it’s Fedora, I am really liking the new version of Fedora.

still wish they would make one with a folding keyboard.

I like the look and screen of the new GPD, but like the thumbsticks with a miniboard of the first one better

1 Like