Got *a couple* of HDD's to test

Howdy, all,

I have a couple of HDDs that I need to test. Pic included

I am on the hunt for some good drive testing software. In my perfect world this software is:

Free or under $50

Runs on Windows 10, or is a bootable image (like Seagate’s Seatools)

It’s able to be used for business

Will tell me if I should trust putting these drives in workstations and them lasting at least a year or so.

Doesn’t take 12 hours to run on each drive

Any software you guys prefer? What do you use?

1 Like

Look at smart data run burn in test

3 Likes

What @mutation666 said. Grab just about any linux live image.

First run lsblk to find what disks are attached. Next you can run this:

sudo smartctl -t long -C /dev/sd{whatevever}

That will more or less tell the drive to run a self-test and report back any SMART errors. You can view the test results once it finishes with:

sudo smartctl -l selftest /dev/sd{whatever}

100% this, download a live CD/USB plug in and test in linux for free!

I would also add badblocks -wsv /dev/<device>

2 Likes

doesn’t badblocks take ages?

yes, because it checks every block. Otherwise how would you know if a drive is actually good or not.

Smart only catches errors when a block or sector is written or read and has an issue.

Badblocks checks every block.

Also you can run multiple instances in parallel. So hook up 6 drives at a time, open up 6 terminals, and run 6 badblock tests. Come back later (1d per 10tb ish) and move on to the next group of drives.

1 Like

10 tb completes in 1 day? not with 6 passess… and OP kinda asked for a quick test…

But 1 pass should catch most errors…

Yeah I normally do 2 passes on every drive I shuck, because Drives can be RMAed, but data cant.

3 Likes

even before data… weed out bad drives earlier

1 Like

Fast test = low confidence
Long test = high confidence

Pick one, there are no fast and good tests for large format drives anymore.

1 Like

Hard Disk Sentinel Professional has everything you need for 30 USD. It can not only command the drive to perform its built-in self-tests, but has a bunch of other tests such as write-read-verify, you can also configure it to do this non-sequentially. The “butterfly mode” does a small block at the beginning of the drive, then a small block at the end, until they meet in the middle. Great for stress testing the head positioning system.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_professional.php

Honestly those probably arent like 8+ TB drives so long test shouldnt be that bad.

1 Like

Old man gibson from Security Now podcast has a lean and fast mass storage testing and recovery but its a bit expensive (89$ for new users gets cheaper if you own older versions). Its still in active development right now and he gives updates via his podcast. Check out SpinRite

Not sure how enterprise licensing works but there is apparently.

1 Like

Gsmartcontrol, decent gui can run tests on multiple drives at once.

Correct, most of these are 500GB - 2TB at the most.

Been listening to the Security Now podcast for a couple of months now. I have heard him discuss the Spinrite 6.1 release coming soon, but when I read the description on GRC, I felt like it was more aimed at monitoring data storage in use (like running on an active server?) If I misunderstood what he meant, please let me know.

wait, how do I flag a post?

If you have a lot of them to test: GitHub - ezonakiusagi/bht: bulk hdd testing with badblocks script

Hi, the three small dots next to the reply function should allow you to flag a post.

Then you choose which offence the post caused you.

The post I deleted asked how many drives you got through so far, 2 days after you started with a whole stack.

I should perhaps have used strikethough and replaced with something along the lines of positing you may have got through a few, even using badblocks to check them thouroughly by now.

But I don’t htink you landed on a test method, so probably haven’t even started any yet.

iirc, I originally posted “how many drives have you done so far” or some such.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.