Google's Leaked Memo

Lol. I could translate his reinterpretation of what’s being said to better facilitate communication, but I would still have nothing to add beyond what I’ve said before. Bait to waste energy.

Ehm, yeah, yeah… no, you are right. I agree with you. Double sorry. I’ll just go change my mind and… there we go. No! I dropped it, didn’t I? My my my. Where could it be now?..

Diversity does not exclude anyone from having identity, borders, or culture.

Is indignation an identity or just a temporary feeling?

1 Like

You two are failing at this whole argument thing, @_hill has asked a question that is fairly resonable tho it was a loaded question. You could have easily pulled out the meaning and even rephrased the question and answer within reason. Instead you choose to call it bait and dismiss the valid concerns that drives the question.

This argumentative style is cancerous to say the least, attempting to display a certain moral superiority or intelligence (well, a sorry imitation of it); be constructive guys, even if your “opponent” isn’t always so understanding.

Also, @Blunderbuss I’m not sure why you ask for a feminist position considering that feminists do not represent the majority of women in both America and Europe… they are kind of a meme at the moment, and for good reason. Your basically asking the ideology who brought these policies about how they feel about these policies being enforced.

This thread is no longer about Tech Policy and News.

Also

3 Likes

Since I am not doing (or trying to do) this “whole argument thing” with hill, what are you failing at?

1 Like

Fairly sure the “two” are Blunderbuss and hill, not you

2 Likes

Ayyyy, thanks for the assist, but I don’t need you proving my point. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I probably misinterpreted your role in this so I guess your off the hook?
(I’m being facetious, as @kewldude007 pointed out this was intended for those two, or I would have said you three)

The phrasing does imply hill is (or could be) a third party:

“You two are failing at this whole argument thing, hill is asked a question that is fairly resonable tho it was a loaded question.”

You might be right though.

Sorry @sep if I misinterpreted your statement. I’ll let you guys get back to this thing.

2 Likes

Hey it’s cool, I see the potential for misinterpretation

1 Like

I stopped attempting the argument once I realized he was only posting loaded questions and loaded comments, and the implication it carries that he isn’t at all interested in answers to the questions he asks.

Hereby I gladly abort any further discussion on the topic with @_hill .

I agree they are a meme now. It does not by itself invalidate all of their arguments. I am always asking for arguments contrary to my own, as much as arguments that support my own.

I don’t agree their ideology brought about those policies (imho the previous iterations of actual feminist ideology have become repurposed/canibalized by leftist populists), but yes, I am asking what they think of it. Because I like to hear what people of diverse opinions think of things, especially so when those people think for themselves and don’t just repeat what’s already been said a thousand times on L/R populist sites.

Well that’s one way :stuck_out_tongue:

I should note, these images show two strong, independent woman who don’t need no mang

Regardless of if you think they created this problem or not (I can’t imagine they wouldn’t) you admit they are a bit of a meme, which came about mainly due to they’re lack of reasoning. (And decency in debates)

I appreciate the sensibility behind the statement, though it’s like asking any traditionally religious person ever what they think of the church of Satan, we know the answer because it has been stated so many freaking times.

Now asking a traditional feminist, that I can get behind, since while I think I know what they’d say, would be good confirmation.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that, if you want to be brow beat, invite that kind of trouble; otherwise, try inviting more reasonable characters(?)
this is just #AHelpfulBitOfAdviceInHopesYouDontGetKillDed

1 Like

Much appreciated, and you are right :slight_smile: .

I honestly do thank you for pointing out I was being a dick - and didn’t really have to. I don’t like being a dick. You stopped me from being something I don’t like being, and that was a decent and valuable thing to do. So, thank you for correcting me.

1 Like

np lol, i’m just having a bit of a goof.

glad i could be of assistance. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I sit in my car. It has a broken headlight. Someone points out to me at a crossing my headlight is broken. Do I go “fuck you there is nothing wrong with my car”, or acknowledge it for the friendly act it is?

No matter whom the actual concern is directed towards, speaking up about that headlight remains a friendly act. It is by all means friendlier than saying nothing at all. A broken headlight isn’t big enough issue for saying nothing to be considered hostile, however. But what happens if it is not a headlight, but breaks and no one speaks up?

The point being, you’re not getting a special treatment here :slight_smile: . Being helpful used to be common decency. Whatever happened to it since, it needs to get back in fashion.

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from, I don’t think what the guy was talking about dismisses this, its not addressed, but i think that’s because he was looking at a selection of topics that may need to be looked at as having gone to far in the wrong direction. (and to be honest, its a complex set of problems, that i think is sometimes mistakenly lumped into “this is one problem”)

I get where you’re coming from though as I’ve heard the same thing (in regards to professionalism in the workplace), though only on very rare occasion and not as oblivious, its also hard to tell if it is because they were women or for other reasons. It’s also not unique to women, it seems to happen regardless of gender, but its also not clear if there’s a difference in frequency, etc, im unsure if thats been properly looked at?

I think though (from what I’ve seen, heard, and experienced) in that specific case that’s more a professionalism issue than anything else. If you cant act professionally you need to be disciplined accordingly regardless of who the target was. That’s not to say the lack of professionalism isn’t caused by the person taking issue with the others gender, I would say that it is exactly that in cases, its definitely an issue that probably needs looked at closer and properly studied.

Do you think its a country thing? the teenager thing i get, these days kids/teenagers aren’t taught responsibility or respect for people, they’re pretty much taught that they can go do anything because there special, or the parenting is non-existent.

Catcalling from passing vehicles… is it really that frequent? Because if it is that’s just… where the hell do you live that’s such a shithole?

Do you mean social with other women? I think that’s the only thing that’s kindof seen as a “norm”. I understand the social issue, I’m exactly the same, i don’t do a lot of “guy” things so dont fit into the “norm” in a lot of areas as well

See this is where I lost you a bit. The memo specifically talks about forced preferential treatment for women, she read that? The programs and preferential treatment that google has put in place directly challenge her ability to compete on a fair playing field. The memo is saying these things shouldn’t be there.

It’s like I said in my first reply to this topic. Just as your wife is talking about transgressions against her ability to compete on a fair playing field. No women that i know want these preferential treatment programs, none of them. They all think that these kind of programs diminish the quality of their work and dismiss there knowledge in favour of them just being there because if fills a gender quota.

There’s arguments to be made on some of the topics he brings up (and that’s why he brought them up, to discuss) but he was literally fighting on your wife’s side if its true that your wife want to be accepted for her work and not for her gender. I’m not sure how the language changes the topics he brought up, it was to the point and (if i remember) fairly emotionless, and somewhat academic in tone. i don’t think that should dismiss the content.

It’s interesting actually because language is something people take for granted and also something people have a tendency to read into more than is there. I frequently have issues with language, especially at work, I can quite frequently forget about tone among other things, and end up writing or speaking in a way that can sometimes come across as abrupt, rude, or other tones and emotions that i didn’t know i was conveying all the while in my head thinking i was doing a good job and realising after that it didn’t come across the way i thought it did. I’ve had strange looks, comments, jokes ‘at my expense’, and can only imagine that people have at least on occasion had a little “that guys a bit weird” conversations when i’m not around.

So while i get that tone means a lot, id consider that the tone you perceive of something someone has written may not always be the tone they were trying to convey.

Google is the parent company of Youtube.

Thats a different issue (thought arguably loosely related to the overall direction). You should start a new topic if one isnt already made.

ref: https://youtube.googleblog.com/2017/08/an-update-on-our-commitment-to-fight.html

I could have sworn I saw gender and diversity being discussed.

some info on “The Institute for Strategic Dialogue”, ref from your ref:
http://instigatornews.com/the-institute-for-strategic-dialogue/
a company Google hired to police on-line terrorism, always follow the funding

I think it started going out of fashion as people get more jaded. Misery loves company, and with all this technology telling us about the latest in tragedy we reflect those negative sentiment in our speech and how we act. Also this whole nihilism (not to mention the, “us vs them”) that is taking the world by storm is making a lot of sociopaths out of normal people so that’s a thing.

There’s a lot of factors, though I think if people would just be “most excellent to one another” we’d be in a better place

1 Like