Good Single-Slot AMD GPU for Fedora

I am looking to add a single-slot board-powered GPU to my Fedora box to handle the host graphics output while passing though my 4090 to a guest VM. And I suppose that AMD would be preferred. There seems to be a lot of negativity swirling around regarding the combination Nvidia and Wayland and Fedora. Although I have made it work, I would prefer to have something a little more painless.

The 4090 is a monster and takes up 3+ slots so I need something that will fit in the top PCIe slot so I can drop the 4090 down to the second slot and still have some airflow.

Ideally I need would like a low power single slot AMD gpu to drive dual 1440p monitors at a reasonable frame rate using open source drivers. I won’t be doing any fast-paced games.

Would a Radeon Pro work in this scenario? If not, does anyone have other suggestions?

1 Like

The only thing that comes to my mind right now is not AMD, but Intel’s via AsRock A580 Challenger.

Bit even then, you may not be able to play games at lower render quality.

2 Likes

Sapphire RX6400 or Powercolor Red Dragon RX 550 are some of the smallest cards I have seen.
Or AMD W6400.

3 Likes

Alas, that looks like a dual slot card which puts it out of the running. But that got me on a search of Intel and I found the intel Arc Pro A40 which looks promising. It may be a little underpowered compared to the 6400s, but has other nice features. I have no idea how much they are asking for it, though, because although the card was “launched” in June, I can’t find a single one for sale on the web. Pure unobtainium. Note to Intel – you may want to “launch” your products within 6 months of offering them for sale. Geez.

2 Likes

@MazeFrame Thanks for the tip! It looks like the RX 6400 might be a good choice. Relatively good performance and low power.

I have been looking (and asking) around in search of the A60. Even asked via work to our supplier, who came back with “:person_shrugging: buggered if we knew”.
I would like me an A60, looked like a solid upgrade for my video-editing needs.

2 Likes

It’s pretty much a halo product at this point. They probably have done a limited production run for testing and evaluation for OEMs and selected customers. Some kind of early access to what could be an alternative in 5 years or so. You want drivers and software integration to be at least on par with AMD. Gamers are more forgiving in that department :slight_smile:

I’d certainly like a single/dual slot card with a good feature set that is positioned between iGPU and full high-powered Gaming/AI cards.

Even “newer” stuff like 6400XT are still double slot…I’m pretty sure mankind can do single slot without 8k rpm radial fans.

And we should move on to more suitable form factors at some point…I’d like to see MCIO/PCIe riser connecting to the front of the case, cooling GPUs with case fans where HDDs/SSDs used to be. There sadly isn’t much innovation in the market for that. Only really form factor shift is in datacenter GPUs.

2 Likes

The WX cards. Or something like the old W5100/4100, those can be had cheap.

1 Like

the w6600 is probably the fastest current single slot card and can be picked up used around $200 if you catch a good deal.

4 Likes

That’s Navi 23…which is approx. like a 6500XT? But for 200 certainly a good deal for single slot as long as you can get the fan under control (if you care).

$200 would certainly be a good deal. Most shops seem to be selling them for over $500. I did find them for sale for $86 at fancsonline.com but 1) I have never heard of them 2) their web shop seems a bit sketchy and 3) they quote 15-21 days shipping.

6600xt, almost identical.

USED price, think forums, ebay, FB market place, craigslist.

1 Like

I picked up an Open Box W6600 for $250 so we will see how that goes.

2 Likes

used

1 Like

True. I am not expecting a pristine card.

I used a Radeon WX2100 which is basically equivalent to an RX 550, the little advantage over the RX 550 is that it has more output ports. (2 mini-dp, 1 hdmi).

2 Likes

Where’d you get a WX2100 with HDMI?