Good headphones for bass player

Hey, I’m looking for some new closed heapdhones for use on the bus & also podcasting.

I play bass & I really like to hear the bass guitar stand out cleanly. I mostly listen to metal & hard rock. I want closed backs so I don’t have to inflict my music upon others or get feedback when I’m recording for my youtube channel.

I have a pair of Sennheisers I use at work which have pretty good bass but they have a really long cable which is inconvenient when on the go plus they’re not exactly super stylish. I initially bought them for bass practice which is fine but they get pretty uncomfortable after a few hours wearing them at work. I also have a Logitech G35 headset at home. the mic is great but too much bass causes distortion plus they’re thick & heavy - not fun to wear for long.

The PJB H-850’s look kind of appealing as they’re supposedly made for bassists & they have a few good reviews but there isn’t tonnes of info out there.

Any other suggestions? I’m willing to spend $100+ as long as I’m getting value for my buck. I live in NZ so availability/shipping may be an issue in some cases.

Mad Dog Pro is a very dark sounding cans. It may look the same as the original T50RP but it's been modded extensively that it stands as a product on its own. It's not like other mods where they just put a bunch of dampening material inside the cups. This one has actual 3d printed earcups with their own baffle design that gives the cans an open-back like sound and improves the overall sound.

(An example of their baffle design and bass port)

It's also been rewired for multiple options of terminations (3.5mm, 6.35mm, RSA, 4pin Balanced XLR). And later down the road you can choose to send it back for an upgrade to the next model, Alpha Dog, which uses the same baffle design, but in a new 3d printed design and also has bass ports which you can adjusts for more or less bass.

It's also 15day money back guarantee, no questions ask. So if you don't like them despite the burn-in time you can return them a.s.a.p.

Thanks those look amazing but $450 is a little over the price range I'm looking at. For music, I'm mostly looking at just plugging straight into my phone so I don't think I'd be getting the full benefit of cans in that price range.

What is your max price range when considering the shipping?

Here's a deal at Massdrop for a limited time only!

Dunu Titan 1 IEM for $89.99 (original MSRP $115.00) Link

Taunts well-balanced, clear sound on an impressively spacious soundstage, and powerful drivers that extend well into the sub-bass and leave plenty of sparkle in the upper mids and highs, giving your tunes a dynamic sound that you’re sure to love.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro for $159.99 (original MSRP $229.00) Link

Taunts efficiency at 16ohms, customizable cometics (white, brown, or black; and even custom logo for the earcup plates), and punchy bass adjustable through bassport. It's also Germany made.

I probably wouldn't want to go higher than $250

Ive been using a pair of Audio Technica A50x's and i must say those are the best headphones i have come across for recording my guitar/bass for tracks (Death metal) and also for enjoying music, Just a thought for you man.

Thanks, I decided to do with the Custom Pro One Plus. I ended up getting it direct from the Beyerdynamic website with a couple of accessories since it was cheaper overall to get them all in one place.

Glad we could help, if you have the time please give us a review of it. Also, I'm a firm believer in comfortable and deep angled earpads. It has 2 main benefits: The deep earcups create a space between your ears and the drivers creating a sense of soundstage, and it can also improve overall sound quality by creating a good seal around your ears.

So, change the earpads if it doesn't give you those benefits.