Good dns service

hey currently for dns im using comodo and its blocking bit.ly links so what is a good free dns service?

What do you want?

OpenNIC is a community run DNS, many of the servers are no logging, plus they offer their own non-ICANN domains (technically speaking a darknet)
If you have a space comuter (rpi would do) you could roll your own, its easy enough.

3 Likes

opendns.

I use comodo DNS and have no trouble with bit.ly links. are you SURE it's comodo secure dns?

I use dnscrypt but that's probably overkill

google dns is what i use.

primary : 8.8.8.8
secondary : 8.8.4.4

surprise surprise, google tracks you and keeps up to 1 month of your browsing history (older is summarized).

i know but it is so f***ing fast. makes my internet feel like less of a peice of shit.

opendns. -- or make your own dns box.

1 Like

probably better then my isp supplied dns server.

citation please.

You know openDNS do the same?

citation of what?

This ^, they store dns lookup info? if so i haven't seen anything documenting this.

not exactly, if you register and enable history then it is collected. But it can be disabled or not used at all without registering.

Yeah. It may not be visible to you. But thats not what their terms say.

https://www.opendns.com/privacy-policy/

Service Usage Information
When you use our Services, OpenDNS stores certain DNS, IP address and related information about you to improve the quality of our Service, to provide you with Services and for internal business and analysis purposes. For example, OpenDNS runs a Domain Name System (DNS) service. DNS translates a domain name (e.g., http://www.example.com) into the corresponding numerical address (e.g., 192.0.34.166) that allows your system to access the domain over the network.

The Software together with the Service may collect certain data and information about your use and, if you are an entity, your individual users’ use of the Service (“User Data”). Any personally identifiable information contained in User Data provided to OpenDNS will be treated as set forth in the OpenDNS Privacy Policy
[..]
OpenDNS also owns all data generated by the Services and Software, and any statistical information related to the usage, traffic patterns and behavior of the users of the Services (“Statistical Data”) (so long as such Statistical Data will not include personally identifying User Data).

This is openDNS. Their business model is on collecting data. Dont forget there owned by Cisco as well, its not some small privacy minded company.

So long as your aware, use it if you like, the service is allright.

its not that big of a secret you know? if you look it up you'll find it to be true.

Google re-invented tracking, you expect them not to use tools they came up with? ISP's dns servers do the same thing - though they are legally obligated to store data for longer periods before summarizing it (usually 1 month - pci compliance)
Ever wondered why some people get letters that they've downloaded illegal movies etc...

hmm didn't know they were bought by cisco.

Though it would make sense, i'd rather trust them since they moved away from advertisements anyway, focusing on security. Still it only means everyone should have their own ns server.

1 Like

Im not debating google's moral dilemma between privacy and targeted advertising. I was merely asking you to provide a source for your claim.

i happen to have worked with google saas solutions, data is stored within spark cluster on hadoop, hbase cluster.

Its nice.