Good dedicated Linux laptop?

I have been looking for a good used machine that will I can run Linux Mint off of, primarily older Core 2 laptops (don't need anything fancy). I have been eyeing the Lenovo Thinkpad SL410 on some eBay listings, as well as Dell D630 models. I really like the Thinkpad, having worked on many at my job.

Any other model laptops you can suggest? I need something durable and long lasting, as I will be using it for basic programming, getting more familiar with the Linux OS's, and as a shop computer (I work as a tech at a local computer repair shop.)

Need's to have a DVD drive for burning disk images to blank DVD's, and would prefer something that at least gets an hour to two hours on a charge.

Most older laptops aren't going to get too long a battery life, but ya overall a thinkpad is your best bet, mostly due to the keyboard

1 Like

Pretty much looking for an hour of battery life, but I am aware that most older laptops don't hold much of a charge. Older Thinkpads in general seem to be pretty good, will likely go that route.

This one's probably your best bet, mostly because it has 4gbs of RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD3208716&cm_re=X200-_-9SIA1ZD3208716-_-Product

does anybody here subscribed to the fry's sale newsletter? because I've seen some laptops there for a good price, but I too don't know if they'll handle linux... Also I went to their stores and nobody knew how to work linux, I felt weird when I was there, because shouldn't they know everything about electronics?, they didn't even know what linux was.

I love the Dell Latitude E6410's, we sell a bunch of them at work. Very solid machines, but a bit too expensive for what I am willing to pay.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I ended up getting a Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 (Core 2 @ 2.26Ghz) with 4GB of RAM. Eventually plan to upgrade the 160GB HDD to a 256GB SSD.

Not a bad choice, but I feel as if you rushed it...
Hope it serves you well.

I guess, I mean the computer I bought was one that I had worked on earlier at work (that we had put up for sale) so I already made a mental note that I liked it. Just wanted to explore other options first.