Go from 64GB to 128GB on am5. Add another same kit 2x 32GB OR buy entire new kit of 2x 64GB dimms?

Hello,

I’ve got:
2x 32GB of gskill F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N - DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 1.40V
gigabyte x670e aorus master
amd 7900x

details:

I’m closing in to the max ram installed (41GB used out of 64GB), I’m starting to wonder between these options:

-add another exact same kit, therefore:
------slower bandwidth as per documentation of amd (4 slots vs 2)
------stability of 4 slots? Seems ok if timings left to auto and no o.c. or expo, correct?
------no “wasted” money (just buy what I need, 32GB)
------no dimms left over
------must decide “soon” or finding same exact dimms diminishes as time goes on
------Dimms prices have drop since I 1st bought them in march 2023 + there’s a rebate because black friday histeria. surely there’ll be a cyber monday, christmas, new year sales, are prices set to rise? Who knows?

or

-replace them with 2 dimms of 64GB each, therefore:
------higher bandwidth as per documentation of amd (2 slots vs 4)
------stability of 64GB dimms?
------availability, if ever, of such dimms and at what insane/premium prices? Waiting for it too long, endangers the prior choice and forcefully commits me to this one
------“wasted” money/pricier (bough entire 64GB when only needed extra 32)
------“wasted” money because of leftover/replaced dimms

Please no warranty voiding configurations (expo,overclocking,…) The am5 cpu and motherboard burns/destruction a few months back have scared me enough.
How much slower does it “feel” (outside benchmarks) going from speeds of 4800 (current) to 3600?
Any ram not used by applications themselves is/will be used as disk cache/pre-cache to speed up machine/launch of programs/etc.

PC is use for everything; from web browsing, email, watching video/movies 4k or not, some gaming , all the way to distributed search engine, distributed research (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing, boinc), p2p networks, virtual machines and some odd things to have fun/test.

thoughts?

thanks

depends on how quickly your source for ram cycles there stock.
if they are a high volume retailer then i would consider getting 4 new sticks.
if they are a low volume retailer then i would grab another 2 as they will likely still be the same batch as your original.

with high volume retailers you may not get exact same kits if you just buy 2 more.
brands like corsair will often swap out chips and other components from a branded set of ram and replace it with similar but not the same parts.

end result you get ddr5 6000 cas 30, 30-36-36-77 at launch
6 months later it will still be branded cas 30 the same but has 30-36-34-75 timings.

so yeah if its a low volume seller you bought off give them a ring and ask if its replacement stock.
if not, then just get the 2.

if it was only a few weeks ago… then take the risk, you might get exactly the same.
but as i say, its a risk.

on second thoughts.

if your gonna replace the ram entirely then go with 96gigs 2x48. better stability at higher speeds.
also 4 sticks of 6000 will likely send you nuts trying to get it to run at anything more than 42-44
but most likely 3600 be what you drop to, if you dont want to mess with all the rams timings.

41 gigs of 64 is still a lot of ram left, it just seems like you need more but your barely using half.
so do you really need it?.

There are no 64GB UDIMMS compatible with AM5. Those are RDIMMS that work with threadripper/xeon/epic.

You can go with fast 96GB (2 dimms should work at 6000), or slower 128/192 GB. YMMV with speeds. Some seem to be able to get pretty fast speeds with 4 dimms (5000+), others are limited to 4400 or even 3600. It will depend on the kit and your CPU quality. It seems like there are no guarantees.

If I put you in front of two identical machines, one with 4800 and one with 3600, you couldn’t tell the difference without knowing and seeing any numbers.