GnuTLS error : The request is invalid ( Lutris Battlefield 4 ) Solved!

I have been racking my head over this, to no avail. A little tired btw…

Fedora 29
In Lutris I click on “Show Logs” and get this error

GnuTLS error: The request is invalid.
Running /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine /home/vindican/Lutris_Games/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin/OriginThinSetupInternal.exe

When I hit “Play” it blinks and comes back to this screen again.
I do have GnuTLS installed :

Package gnutls-3.6.5-2.fc29.x86_64 is already installed.
Package gnutls-3.6.5-2.fc29.i686 is already installed. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Well I figured it out… Yup, currently playing BF4 on Linux. Who would’ve thought ! I will post here shortly how I resolved this issue and another that popped up while I was fixing this one.

1 Like

Well what a journey, but I got it all fixed and played through roughly 5 hours last night. So here’s what happened…

GnuTLS : The Fix

I removed the directory where Origin and Games resided in. Either through Lutris or my simply deleting the directory itself.

lutris

make sure that you have or the equivalent of your distro I am on Fedora 29:

gnutls-3.6.5-2.fc29.x86_64 , gnutls-3.6.5-2.fc29.i686

After a reinstall of the Origin app, I got the same error?! :man_shrugging:
This time I neded to see the logs to get more information. You can do this by starting Origin and then clicking the monitor icon on Lutris :

lutris_glow

I found the following :

008a:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

It say’s ntlm_auth was not found, so I needed to get windbind , this is found in samba for Fedora 29.

samba-common-tools.x86_64 samba-libs.x86_64 samba-winbind.x86_64 samba-winbind-clients.x86_64 samba-winbind-modules.x86_64

Now ! surely I can get all this to work… right?! YUP ! it works.

After adding all these packages, do a clean reinstall of Origin, you can move your games to another directory in the meantime. Then you can game like a Pro ! ! ! !

2 Likes

Notable information:

I did this in a XFS partition, and allowing execution of files in that partition/directories as well. I had make those changes because I didn’t allow execution of files for “reasons”

1 Like

Not on topic but… can you play multiplayer on linux with BF4?

1 Like

I’ve played 8hrs since yesterday.

But you bring up a good point. Punkbuster needs to run and I had to do this through lutris.

1 Like

I was kicked from the first two online matches due to Punkbuster not running initially. So I did the following from Lutris:

run the punkbuster exec by navigating to the game ( battlefield 4 ) directory in my case it’s

/home/vindican/Lutris/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/Battlefield 4/pbsvc.exe

that is the punkbuster service. click through the prompts and you are good to go.

1 Like

You’re the best. :smiley:

1 Like

glad I can finally help you, you’ve helped a ton in the past ! :+1:

1 Like