Gigabytes new "TRX50 AI TOP" motherboard with 8 dimm slots for non-pro TR

Have you guys seen this? It is really tempting to use it to get a non-pro TR system with 1TB of ram. But I do wonder what the memory performance will be in practice.

gigabyte[dotcom]/Motherboard/TRX50-AI-TOP

Interesting find. Unfortunately, the manual isn’t posted, yet.

The TRX50 is limited to 4 memory channels. 8 dimm slots won’t change that. I don’t think even when paired with a Threadripper Pro CPU. But the manual should clarify that.

Even a DPC config for the TRX50 would be quite interesting to me (assuming reasonable cost).

1 Like

Let’s hope that 2 DIMMs per channel works here. This is the main limitation of current TRX50 boards that puts me off upgrading to one.

I am very interested to learn at what speeds 2 DIMMs per channel will be supported.

While I was very interested in jumping on the PCIe Gen5/DDR5 bandwagon, so far I have found the cost/benefit ratio (for me) to be terrible.
At this point, PCIe Gen5 devices are only emerging (at premium prices) and first gen DDR5 dimms (4800MT) were not much faster than my existing dimms (to warrant further investment) and from what I can see even current gen products (6400MT+) are still plagued with compatibility issues (certainly in the 2 dimm/channel config on consumer platforms) or they’re capacity limited (due to support limited to single dimm/channel or RDIMM costs beyond my budget > 32GB/dimm).

I’m aware that these are complaints of a home labber without real requirements - and budget for investment based on personal opinions.

I’m on a similar boat. I don’t see much point on upgrading from my current Zen 3 setup with 128gb to 192gb on consumer platforms.
TR is extremely expensive where I live and hard to find (no signs of the 7000 here so far).

My hope was that 64gb UDIMMs would become a thing this year, so I could make the jump to AM5 without many regrets.

1 Like