Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI experience

Has anyone piced up the Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI board? They have been dropping recently on NewEgg and I’ve been eying them curiously.

For us, the benefit over the ASUS SAGE MOBO is the support for TBT 3 on the Gigabyte. We primarily edit videos and looking for fast throughput to our Promise Pegasus R32 arrays which support TBT 3.

Although the board doesn’t ship with the TBT 3 add-in card, the header is there to support it on the board.

Reviews up on patreon, live in a few days. Thunderbolt support seems more first class than ever before on AMD

2 Likes

So no reservations picking up this MOBO over the ASUS SAGE? I’ll go watch on Patreon now… thanks Wendell!

Can you share your BIOS settings that were successful for you @wendell - built the system yesterday but TB3 is unstable. Working through the issues on a Windows 10 build. It is occasionally present but then disappears or won’t appear at all on boot-up. Fun stuff… Titan Ridge 2.0 AIC.

its not in device manager when it disappears? is it in the x8 slot and has at least one external power?

It remains in the device manager.

Yes indeed @wendell

Reminds me of my days on the ASUS platform with TB! :slight_smile:

For clarity - the device is always seen by the system, but rarely mounts the attached device - in this case, a Promise Pegasus32 R8 unit. Even went with… hold your breathe… no authentication as a last resort! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Oh, and the 4 myterious DIP switches on your board - not present on mine. Maybe a Star Citizen thing?

since it remains in device manager that suggests driver/firmware/tray application.

did you install the utility from the windows store??

what device is attached?
also can you check windows event log and see if there are any errors in system or application?

Yes

Promise Pegasus32 R8

I’ll have a look - can’t thank you enough.

The guide says not to install it - I saw that. On Designare TRX40 we tried installing it and it worked fine so did it in this instance too.

Rebuilding the system from scratch and will try the guide’s way…

Used the old Legacy driver from the guide… didn’t install the MS Store TB app… same end result. Rebuilt the OS from scratch - just GPU in the system with the TR AIC. sigh

yeah, going to try to send you a screenshot of the bios before too long just been a busy day

Yah, no worries - still muddling through ideas here. Working on it all day - ugh. There must be something burried in the BIOS that is preventing the array from mounting… just thinking what it could be… what TB3 devices did you test? Any RAID arrays?

just egpu and the simple raid1 tb3 dock I reviewed a while back

The settings for hot or cold are most likely what you need to step though and test.

Hard power cycle the array each time you make a config change

I’m on it… this board sets the record for longest reboots! :slight_smile:

The BIOS seems to be very unstable on this board… if it gets the slightest upset about a setting, it seems to want to freeze up the system. For example, if you enable a TB3 setting that it doesn’t like, it may even crash the OS install in my experience.

Perhaps the MOBO was rushed to market? This is my final full imaging of the system - if I can’t get TB3 stable then I dunno … return it?

yeah, weird your board doesnt have the dip switches since my board was newegg/retail.
pcie mode was 4x for the slot?

hot/cold/hotplug issues make me think that setting I took a pic of RTD hot/cold? but those make no change?

Dinner… back in a few… just got finished re-imaging, inserted the TB3 card and adjusted BIOS…

I used the windows store defaults and the installer from gigabytes website
and all was well
no tomfoolery