Gigabyte Wants a Letter to Taiwan

It’s been a long road getting here, but Gigabyte has given me their mailing address to mail HQ for help in Taipei, Taiwan. I respect the opportunity I suppose, and it’s better than twiddling my thumbs.

Here’s the impasse I’ve reached during a 5 month quest to remedy PCIE compatibility on an X570 Aorus Xtreme Rev 1.1:

Question: Can you contact the development team so they can implement the AMD CPU code version that fixes the issue?I paid $700 for this motherboard and am regretting going with Gigabyte. 9/29/2020 3:29 PM
Answer: No, I cannot contact the development team. I am a level 1 support representative. All I can do is report this issue to my supervisor, which I did.

Here is the contact information for our Headquarters if you would like to try to get in touch with them:

Taiwan (Headquarters)

GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

Address: No.6, Baoqiang Rd., Xindian Dist., New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
Tel: +886-2-8912-4000
Fax: +886-2-8912-4005

Regards,

Gigabyte Technical Support Team|

To understand how we got here, I’ll provide some much needed context.

Older PCIE Universal Audio Cards are not supported well on x570, despite being sold as brand new to this day for $799+++.

There are numerous threads of audio engineers having trouble, which prompted a lukewarm response from UAD:

AMD Ryzen CPUs and UAD-2 PCIe Compatibility

AMD recently released a new line of CPUs called Ryzen. Although Ryzen CPUs have not been specifically tested by Universal Audio with UAD devices, Customer Support has received reports from users experiencing compatibility issues with UAD-2 QUAD, DUO, and SOLO PCIe cards on systems utilizing Ryzen CPUs.

On affected systems, the UAD-2 PCIe cards are not recognized and the UAD Meter shows “No Devices Found.” Compatibility issues between Ryzen CPUs and PCIe devices from other manufacturers have also been reported.

If you are experiencing issues with your UAD-2 PCIe card being recognized on a system that uses a Ryzen CPU, the first step is to contact your motherboard manufacturer for any new BIOS updates that may be available. Installing the latest BIOS updates for your system will ensure that you have the latest fixes and improvements.

Please note that we have not received any reports of compatibility issues between Ryzen CPUs and UAD-2 OCTO PCIe cards, or any other UAD / Apollo devices.

In sum, UAD is saying you’re on your own bucko.

UAD’s website then recommended an external enclosure as a stopgap… so naturally I purchased a Sonnet as well as a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card.

Well, the Sonnet and UAD Cards work great on my 2012 Intel Based Macbook Pro - but I still get Device Code 10 errors on my x570 System.

Somewhere along the way Gigabyte said that their developers need the correct CPU code in order to implement a fix:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately there has not been any update from the development team. They need to find out which AMD CPU code version fixes the issue, then they can check to see if they can implement that code in our BIOS. You can try to obtain this information from UAD or AMD.

Best regards,

Gigabyte Technical Support Team

UAD points to the Mobo manufacturer needing to fix it, and I have not found relevant contact info for AMD.

The crux of this post is this - is there any way to fix this error without dealing with these parties who have left me out to dry?

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A device which does not exist was specified."

I’ve verified that the cards function on older Phenom based systems and Intel based systems.

I have the latest drivers and BIOS installed.

X570 Aorus Xtreme Rev 1.1
Titan Ridge Thunderbolt Card
Sonnet Express Enclosure
3950X

Whether it’s directly on the board or through an enclosure, the devices do not work on my Ryzen system.

Praying someone may have some ideas.

Otherwise I’ll have to send random letters to Taipei pleading for help.

2 Likes

If Gigabyte is waiting on an update from AMD to update the chipset to be able to handle the sound device then you have two options:

1. Wait for the update
  2. Switch to Intel (or another known working platform)

This sound card issue seems imperative to your workflow and I hope you get your issue resolved. However, I do not think that merely sending a letter will resolve your issue. Development takes time and if AMD hasn’t shipped it to them then the vendor is stuck sitting on their thumbs. If AMD has shipped the update and Gigabyte has not implemented it then the blame does indeed lie with them but this appears to not be the case.

Best of luck.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply - that unfortunately seems to be the only feasible option. :confused:

1 Like

If you do contact Gigabyte directly and are cordial about your predicament I’m sure they’d put you first in the list to receive a beta bios as soon as it ships.

But I have no idea how long that will take and this sounds like you use this professionally so time is money.

1 Like

I ran into similar problems using Analog Devices SHARC DSP Chips (UADs use the same) on a Windows 10 system.
I just rebooted and used the driver signature option. Even though they said that shouldn’t have mattered it did. Sometimes after adding new SSDs/NVMe’s I require a reboot. On occasion I have to do this again and reseat the PCI-e 1X Connector card.

I use this for live performance and have 100% stability.

When the new Windows 10 drivers were released in 2016 I freaked out until I did the trick above.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.