Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC and Daisy Chaining Issue

Hello, everyone!

I’ve searched for solutions but so far haven’t gotten anywhere and haven’t had any luck with Gigabyte Support, so here I am.

I’m attempting to integrate Thunderbolt into my AMD editing workflow and after seeing the TRX40 Designare compatibility, I decided to make the jump.

I went with the TRX40 Aorus Xtreme with the 3960x and the Titan Ridge AIC. When plugging in to either port on the Thunderbolt card, I was only able to connect two devices in the chain.

Thunderbolt Control Center sees all the devices plugged in and I can approve all of them, but they don’t show up in Disk Manager or Explorer.

If more than two devices are plugged in to a port during boot, I get error d4.

I have now tested this with the Designare as well, with the same result.

I’m not sure what else to do at this stage. Is this a known issue?

Thanks for any help.

The latest bios on designare has options to reserve memory per tb port. Try to play with it.
Also enable ‘above 4g decoding’

My Designare BIOS is version F4c, I believe that is the most current?

Memory allocation per port doesn’t seem to play a role in the issue. I’ve increased them to 256MB and 512MB respectively with no change in Windows.

I do currently have Above 4g decoding enabled as well, but the issue is present with it on or off.

I’ve also tried it with CSM enabled/disabled with no result as well.

When I plug in any third TB3 device, I get a PCI Express Upstream Switch Port error that goes away as soon as the device is unplugged. The error code is 31.

Yes this is the latest. Don’t have any idea how to help.
I have that mobo but I don’t have anything to daisy chain yet.

Not that I have anything I can help currently, but I am just curios, can you plug 2 devices per port or 2 devices in total.
That is if you can plug 2 devices per port, that would be 4 devices in total.

You can also try to do this in Linux and see if dmesg shows any interesting errors, but to be honest that is most likely a yet another firmware bug.

Also note that gigabyte published a new firmware for this card. I updated and it looks like it still is working, but I have very few THB devices to test against. So with the usual disclaimer that it might destroy the device, you can try the firmware update.

I’m able to plug in and recognize two devices per port, but I’m attempting to work with a thunderbolt audio device and a thunderbolt dock as well, so I need to have more than 4 devices recognized.

I’m thinking about just swapping systems to an 3950x and an Asrock x570 Creator. As much as I want Threadripper to work with Thunderbolt, it appears that the technology just isn’t there yet to have true perfect compatibility.

Further questions:

1. Just to be sure, you did update the Titan Ridge AIC’s firmware?

2. What release of Windows 10 are you using? 1903, 1909?

3. Are you using the latest Intel Thunderbolt drivers, NOT from Gigabyte but directly from Intel?

Since I’m also a user of this controller - but with an ASRock X570 Taichi - I’m interested in such cases (unfortunately can’t check daisy chaining due to lack of abled devices).

Is Gigabytes’s support further investigating this or did they just reply “NOPE!”?

I have updated the Titan Ridge to its latest firmware.
I’m running WIndows 10 1909.
Yes, I’ve gotten my drivers directly from Intel.

I didn’t really get a straight answer from Gigabyte about whether or not they were investigating the issue further. They wanted me to send them my Thunderbolt devices to confirm compatibility, but I can’t really afford to do that at the moment.

It took a month to get that far with customer support online, and I’ve never gotten to speak to anyone on the phone.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.