Gigabyte MC62-G40 LED_BMC permanently on after failed firmware update

After a failed firmware update my Gigabyte MC62-G40 mainboard stopped booting up, no BMC, the LED_BMC is permanently on which means “Firmware initial status” as of the manual.

The ethernet port’s LED is orange/red when connected to the router/switch, but it does not obtain any IP to connect to the BMC, at least the router/switch does not list it.

Does anyone know how to revive the board? I contacted Gigabyte esupport, but no response so far.

It sounds like your motherboard might be in a bricked state due to the failed firmware update. Here are some steps you can try to revive your Gigabyte MC62-G40 motherboard:

1. Power Cycle the Board:
    Turn off the power supply completely.
    Unplug the power cable from the power supply.
    Wait for a few minutes (around 5-10 minutes).
    Plug the power cable back in and turn on the power supply.
  2. Clear CMOS:
    Turn off the system and unplug the power cord.
    Locate the CMOS jumper on the motherboard (refer to the manual for the exact location).
    Move the jumper to the clear position, wait for a few seconds, and then move it back to the original position.
    Alternatively, you can remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then reinstall it.
  3. Use the Backup BIOS:
    Some Gigabyte motherboards have a dual BIOS feature. Check if your board has a backup BIOS and follow these steps:

Turn off the system and unplug the power cord.
Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds to discharge any remaining power.
Plug the power cord back in and turn on the system. The motherboard may automatically switch to the backup BIOS.
4. USB BIOS Recovery:
If your motherboard supports USB BIOS recovery, you can try the following:

Download the latest BIOS firmware from the Gigabyte website.
Extract the BIOS file and rename it according to the instructions in the manual (usually GIGABYTE.bin or similar).
Copy the BIOS file to a FAT32-formatted USB drive.
Insert the USB drive into the designated USB port for BIOS recovery (refer to the manual).
Power on the system and wait for the BIOS recovery process to start.
5. Check the BMC Firmware:
Since the BMC LED is on, indicating “Firmware initial status,” it might be possible to recover the BMC firmware:

Check the Gigabyte support website for any BMC firmware recovery tools or instructions.
If available, follow the steps to recover the BMC firmware.
6. Contact Gigabyte Support:
If none of the above steps work, continue to reach out to Gigabyte support. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to respond.
Additional Tips:
Make sure the motherboard is not in a static discharge environment. Ground yourself and the motherboard.
Ensure all power connectors are properly seated.
If the motherboard remains unresponsive, it might require professional repair or replacement.

1 Like

thanks for the answer, but looks like AI generated… already tried those tips and also contacted the gigabyte esupport

What do you mean exactly?

You dont want a verbose response from a nerd forum?

sorry, I mean the anwer of @Shadowbane looks AI generated

How so? It sort of makes sense that you need to update the BIOS? The instruction seems ok as I’ve flashed a Gigabyte BIOS justa few weeks ago.

@Erdal_Karaca It was AI-generated. I ran your question through my hardware repair bot and just posted the answer the bot came up with.

1 Like