Gigabyte ga-wrx80-su8-ipmi not posting

Hello! I could really use some help trying to figure out why this new build won’t post.

Parts list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-WRX80-SU8-IPMI
Ram: 128GB 4x32GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory by NEMIX
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series, HX850, 850 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

To troubleshoot, I have:

• Waited to see if posting just takes a while
  • Removed RAM, NVME SSDs, and all other things connected besides the CPU
    *Connected a monitor directly to the D-Sub Port
    *Connected ethernet to the IPMI port to see if it would appear on my network

None of these have yielded any results or clues.

Any obvious issues with the part selection?

Any known issues to look out for?

I bought the motherboard used from Amazon, anyway to tell if it needs to be RMA’d?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the ideas! I’ll check these after work today.

In the meantime, here’s some other information:
*The CPU cooler fans come on immediately and stay on
*The fans spin up when flipping the PSU switch (no need to hit the power button)
*No other lights appear to come on. The Ethernet port does not light up when connected

I’ll try some of your suggestions after work and report back with any findings.

1 Like

Ok tried a few more things.

Tried booting with only 1 RAM stick. No difference.

Tired removing the CPU (only thing connected was power) and booting. This was in hopes of getting to the IPMI interface. No luck.

Assuming this should work, this is feeling like a motherboard issue. I did buy it used from Amazon…Anything else to try other than returning it?

Thanks,

Matt

As a former Amazon returns employee

NEVER
EVER
Buy used off Amazon, little to no testing and recertification goes into the returns centers, I was horrified when I became an employee there

1 Like

Good to know. I was tempted by the deal but guess there is no such thing as a free lunch.

1 Like

So an update on this thread. The board was indeed dead. I returned it and got another board which lights up and allows access to the IPMI.

However, I’m having another issue with the new board. I installed the latest BIOS image using the IPMI and now can’t get the boot screen to progress to the part where I can enter the BIOS.

This is the screen I’m stuck on.

GA-WRX80-SU8_Boot Stuck

Any ideas on progressing past this? The documentation hasn’t been the helpful but I do see an error code of 91 on the board.

91 = Issue Event to connect drivers

Did you reset the BIOS by taking out the CMOS Battery / using the Jumper yet?
After an Update there could be a configuration issue, had this recently with a Supermicro Board.

Otherwise it’d be the usual steps of taking out any unnecessary parts, re-seating the CPU, checking whether everything looks proper in IPMI.

I have the same Board with the same BIOS Version, using a 3975WX and 8x8GB of ECC RDIMMs.

1 Like

I had not tried these yet. After reading your reply I did try pulling the CMOS battery, waiting 20 seconds and then putting it back in. After doing so I did see some new screens on boot which seemed positive but then it got stuck on the same screen again.

What jumper are you referring to?

Currently I only have power, RAM, and CPU hooked up. Should I try removing anything? It doesn’t seem like there is much to remove.

What should I be looking for in the IPMI?

Sorry if some of these questions seem basic. I’m a hobbyist and this is my first modern board with IPMI. Thanks!

I spent some time tonight looking over the motherboard. I found the jumper and tried using it but still getting stuck at error 91.

Update: I was able to get past this error by redistributing the RAM among the other open RAM slots (using the 2 farthest and 2 closest to the CPU).

I also reached out to Gigabyte support (which takes 7 days to reply to each message) and they provided me with an F5 bios.

Now the issue I am getting is getting stuck on the “GIGABYTE” logo screen with the code “A0” in the bottom right. I can bypass this by removing my GPU but I need my GPU for my use case. Any ideas on a fix for this? I messaged Gigabyte support but am expecting 1-2 weeks before getting a resolution.

Were you able to fix this issue? Im stuck in standby mode and have removed everything, tried updating the BIOS, still nothing. BIOS wont update because computer is stuck in standby mode. What did Gigabyte say?

What do you mean by “standby mode”? You have no CPU, no memory, just power connected, and can get into the IPMI to try to update BIOS… but something doesn’t work? Or maybe you have some stuff not removed?

While in the IPMI, can you grab some screen shots, maybe even a video capture of the remote session boot up process?

I had trouble when setting up mine because it seems like the x8 slot conflicts with the IPMI VGA and until I gave up on using that slot, I had troubles.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.