Gifted - Mcafee 1000 Intel Security Firewall server

Hey all, I’m being gifted a McAfee 1000 Intel Security server.

Anyone had experience with this device ? Good or Bad

Initial thought was install Proxmox and go from there.

Post some photos of the outside and inside, someone can probably ID the cpu and chipset. Chances are it’s either an old xeon or an intel atom like a C2000.

1 Like

these seem to be based on something from around the broadwell era. but again, there were tons of options available and unless you want to pull the cover off, or try to boot to BIOS or maybe even a USB bootable Linux distro, to discover what hardware is actually available here. there is little that can be recommended.

If nothing else they are pretty cool looking 1u cases. I wonder what’s inside :laughing:

1 Like

Understood, picking it up this weekend. Will update with info !

1 Like

Is that a pcie slot in the front??

Add in Inc card slot, firewall appliance

1 Like

No M.2 slots, lack of PCIe slots, only storage is sata based (CF card?), no sign of a video out. Not a great candidate.

There is also a risk that the bootloader is locked, preventing you from running your own code on there. And you’ll probably be installing linux over serial console - surprisingly easy to do, and still supported on many distros.

Is it not a drive cage on the right?

It’s a PCIe slot for a network card. Though you could probably use an M.2 or U.2 converter in there.

2 Likes

We removed the cfast card and tired to boot from an ssd and the device refused.

I’ll see if I can remove the PCI extender and install a GPU via riser cable to get video out. I’m hopping for an option to boot into a bios to install Linux to another drive; he board has two sata ports.

Look at the files on a computer, see if it’s using UEFI. Though it could just be a FAT32 filesystem with .bin files.

Also have a look for EMMC chips on the motherboard, it may be booting off this to load code from the CF card.

2 Likes