Getting Started with TrueNAS Scale | Part 3 | Installing Jellyfin via the GUI + Apps Explainer

The Way you configured it, PiHole should be accessible via [HOST_IP]:[Port], I just confirmed this on one of my test systems. You don’t have to change anything about that configuration by default.

What I would recommend you do is switch to the TrueCharts Version or deploy Pi-Hole yourself via “Launch Docker”, so you can create an IP Alias on a Bridge with the Host’s NIC, similar to how is described in the Guide for Jellyfin. That way Pi-Hole can use standard Ports and be accessible by the Scale Host.

I Just tried it and I’m taken to the dashboard for TrueNAS overall. I can access the PiHole admin portal as well with a few clicks.

The core of the issue is setting up the other clients in my network to use that PiHole container instance. I can’t add ports to the DNS fields, so I’m struggling to follow how this would be resolved.

You would resolve this by giving PiHole its own IP Address, so that you can choose Port 53, which is what most clients would expect.

This isn’t possible with the official App from iXSystems.

As said above, I’d recommend you switch to the TrueCharts Catalogue’s PiHole App or create one through the “Launch Docker” Dialogue yourself, similar as described above for Jellyfin with its own IP Alias.

Using TrueCharts is less customizable, but much easier and comparable to the official Apps:
https://truecharts.org/docs/manual/SCALE%20Apps/Adding-TrueCharts

Thankyou for the guide for installing jellyfin, but i have a question.

I have an gtx 1660 and i want to use with jellyfin por transcoding, how do i make jellyfin use the graphic card?

1 Like

Thank you very much, for this very well done and very understandable tutorial. I am French and I do not speak much English but I understood.
On the other hand, DLNA does not work for me even with the option activated on the jellyfin page. A solution on Truenas Scale 22.02.4?
Stephnet

How did you set up Networking, with an external Interface or Ports passed through to the Host?
As far as I know only the first option can work for DLNA and Jellyfin.

felixthecat

So, I solved the problem by putting a static address.
So solution 1 in the tutorial:
“Configuring Networking to the Container” .
Now my DLNA jellyfin server is discoverable and reachable on the network.

And thank you so much, felixthecat, for your great tutorial!

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for the articles, but I’m having some issues with creating the jellyfin directory. Truenas denies it when I type in the command, as seen in the photo above. The only thing I believe I’ve done differently is I log in with “admin” as the user name instead of “root”. When installing Truenas there was a prompt that suggested you use admin instead of root. I assumed this was part of an update.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

1 Like

I’m also having this exact problem that AD_Crimson is having: “Permission denied” on the mkdir command when logging in as admin. Would love to get an update for how to proceed. Thanks!

Also tagging @olinesn since the two issues seem to have the same cause!

In latest Update, TrueNAS Scale has pushed using an Admin User instead of root for logging into the WebUI.
So if you’re accessing the Shell through the Browser and that User, you won’t have full root permissions when executing commands.

The easiest way to get around this is to use

sudo su

to elevate yourself into a root enviornment before running those commands.

It is neccessary that under Credentials → Local Users → admin “permit sudo usage” is set to enabled.

Hi @felixthecat, thanks for this! I found a different workaround where you add permissions, and commented my own clarifications. I like your solution too!

It looks like I can’t link to websites on this forum, but for anyone finding this in the future, the reddit post is titled “Cant read ISO for VM in TN Scale”.

Thank you so much. I’ve got jellyfin up and running on my NAS and other devices and is working great.

Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial. Looking forward for the next part on file sharing!

Anyone have managed to make this tutorial work with Truenas Scale Bluefin?
I’ve tried upgrading and it doesn’t seem to be working. I had to revert back to Angelfish.

I have also had trouble with getting Jellyfin to run on Bluefin (22.12.1). Although I found a fix for it.

I believe there are 2 issues related to Jellyfin not being able to run properly:

1. If you have a SMB share running on the same location where you configured additional app storage for Jellyfin, the container/pod will fail to create itself. To fix this simply turn off the SMB share before starting the app.
  2. I have also added the user “apps” (Full Control) to the ACL of the dataset under which my additional storage is saved. Be sure to check “apply permissions recursively”. Without this permission Jellyfin won’t be able to read from the additional storage location.

I am using the TrueCharts version of Jellyfin.

So I followed along and had no hiccups getting everything installed and running.

But I can’t get Jellyfin to see the folders where I actually have my media stored.

I’ve messed with permissions, made sure apps and the owner of the folders are in each other’s groups, Read and Write are enabled for groups… Nothing I’m doing is getting it to see what I’m trying to get it to look at.

Hello

I am also experiencing the same issue; there is no media inside of the media folders.

I am running Bluefin 22.12.3, I followed this tutorial through twice, ran through the suggestions in the comments. To no avail.

The ‘apps’ user has been added to both the media and the jellyfin datasets, all other permissions are double checked and align with what is in this thread. I also started the Jellyfin app with the SMB shares disabled, still nothing. And just like the other user mentioned, I see all the mount points except my media folder on the media folder setup page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a known solution to get this running properly?

Thanks for the turtorials. I had installed Truecharts Jellyfin, and I can access the Jellyfin webinterface and the libraries.
But when I try to connect to the DNLA with a client, the Jellyfin DNLA server are not discovered.
On Jellyfin I have marked “Enable ‘Play To’ DLNA feature”

Have you tried unchecking “Enable Host Path Safety Checks” as seen in the Picture above under your Advanced Settings in the Apps Section?

How did you do Networking for the App? You’ll likely have to use Host Networking with an Alias on a bridge rather than just forwarding the HTTP(S) Port(s) to get DLNA to work.

Thanks for the answer. But I don’t use a Bridge.
Can you point to a document where the solution are described?