Getting dreaded Error Code 43 when trying to passthrough an Nvidia GPU to a Windows Virtual Machine using QEMU/KVM in ProxMox

Attempting to install version 320 of the Nvidia driver results in “no compatible hardware”. I have a GT 710 and I don’t think the 320 driver works with Windows 10 or the GT 710?

Try 33X - 340, 340.xx something is with check, I think it should support your gpu.

1 Like

It supports my GPU but it doesn’t support Windows 10.

I was having problems stopping the efi framebuffer from loading. Finally found this article on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/616xih/gpu_passthrough_with_msi_b350_tomahawk/

edit /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf to add these lines (this ensures that the vfio-pci module gets loaded before any video drivers):
softdep radeon pre: vfio-pci
softdep amdgpu pre: vfio-pci
softdep nouveau pre: vfio-pci
softdep drm pre: vfio-pci

Notice the article also talks about needing avic… With that line in it threw errors in proxmox so i’m unsure if it’s really necessary for our purposes or his.

1 Like

I met the same question, do you finally solved it? Can you tell me how to solve it?

Were you ever able to get this going? I’m running into the same issue with my i7-5820k, ASRock x-99m Extreme4, and Geforce 960.

I was not. The issue was my hardware I believe, but I’m not certain.

I did not end up figuring it out either. Switched over to using ESXi and doing passthrough there.

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the bump, but I had this issue and was able to resolve it (after finding this thread on google), so figured it might be of help to someone in the future.

I found that the NVidia driver was on the lookout for HyperV related settings and in the CPU flags listed, the hv flags are present and thus enabling HyperV functionality. As soon as I removed them, the GT710 loaded the driver just fine.

I also did not need to use the x-vga option.

1 Like