Getting a P620 (what shall i look for)

Hey so im getting a P620 sent my way with a 12 core CPU and 128gb 2666mhz memory for free and looking forwards to it but what shall i do to it when making it my daily driver?

Was looking at maybe getting a new cooler and thermal paste to the Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 and PTM7950 PHASE CHANGE THERMAL PADS to make sure the system is silent in my room.

Another thing i was thinking was grabbing the TR Memory kits from G.SKill to a 8x8 Kit with higher speeds if the CPU can support more than 3200 as I heard AMD likes fast memory as it will also be used for a gaming box along side my work machine.

GPU wise i will be using a RTX 5000 Ada that i already have and was pulled from a working Lenovo P7 so i assume that will work OOTB with no issues.

Any thing else i should do / make to this?

Any knowledge, on what CPU is pkged?
The series can dictate, how far memory can be pushed

sorry its the 5495wx so i think its the latest gen of CPU on the platform i think and if needed i may get a 32 core later on in the year if needed

also in the OG post i forgot to add that i am on a 2970x at the moment so i do kinda wonder if the p620 would be a upgrade or not.

Should have better luck, with running 3200 all around

you think i could get something like 4000+ running or is that a WRX80 only thing to OC memory and CPU?

Lower memory amnt perhaps, can push on for higher clocks [8x4GB?]
… At least is me thinking, with conventional desktop mindset + less CPU core demand(s)

I’m sure someone else can chime in, IF they pushed memory to such speed [+ at 16x8GB total]

The official specs are here: ThinkStation P620 Specs. From my experience, when they state limitations on RAM speed and capacity they mean it. So a maximum of 512GB at 3200MHz is the best you should expect.

Great choice. I have a couple P620s all with 59xx series CPUs.

Few things,

• Atlantic Marvell NIC is trash. Never had it working on Linux or ESXi. It works better on Windows, but i highly recommend another NIC for the machine.

• Lenovo uses conservative settings, so better paste will help it boost when it can. The cooling set up is ok. CPU cooling could be better. It uses a 4 pin pwm with plastic tabs in the wrong places. On the replacement fan you need to shave off the tab on the fans pwm connector.

• If you get AER errors in Linux, or WHEA in Windows, check the CPU mounting pressure. If you replace the CPU be mindful of this. AMD screwdriver is helpful if you have it.

• CPUs are locked to Lenovo. You need unlocked CPUs or Lenovo locked ones if you want to upgrade. Limits CPU resale. Ive got a few 39xx CPUs kicking around with no home.

Hope this helps.

and beware that unlocked cpus will be permanently fused on first boot of the platform. Just friendly warning.

1 Like

For networking I’m going to reuse my 2.5gbe pcie one from my 2970X, and CPU upgrade I’ve heard can be an issue, I was looking at a used 5975 but they seem to be going for $2000 still near me what seems kinda expensive for a older CPU. I’m planning on selling my 2970 once I figure out how stable I can make this.

It seems like an upgrade though what seems awesome and it was free just got to pay the shipping what’s less than 100 from a friend who got a P7 recently so it seems like a no brainier and going to run POP OS and dual boot Mac OS on this too if possible with my old Radeon Pro Duo