Getting a new Wireless Router

I’ve always had good luck with TrendNet switches

Pfsense low power hardware in supply chain challenged times = $$$$

True, but the specs on these exceed the minimum requirements for pfsense, they should be fine.

These style boxes are an Alliexpress if you can wait 30-40 day shipping.

Damn, that one I linked, just realized it’s $45 in shipping from China :grimacing:

STH Patrick said SSD quality is terrible, and folks should look to get the barebones one and add their own flash.

Right, but if your modem doesn’t support 2.5 you’ll be getting max of 1gbps unless you bond multiple NICs.

thats on my list as well, an mb8611 or the arris s33

Just remembered reading about this one recently:

It might be good enough for your basic 1.2Gbps routing… if you drop the pfSense requirement:

(2x 2.5G ports + 1x 1Gbps $60-ish )

Rockchip SoCs can certainly be an option but RK3568 is very new and support is most likely very rough especially mainline (if any at all for a few months at least).

While not a speed daemon Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Clients might be worth looking into but I haven’t looked at what speed the PCIe slot supports given the price point.

Sorry, I can’t suggest anything in your price range - I’ve always used a Motorola MB8600 modem and built my own router. Why? I used to have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 which struggled even on Ethernet. I felt the improements were worth spending more.

I can get 1.2Gbps with 2 bonded 1Gbps. I have found since the uplift that Xfinity is more consistent - it used to drop to 600-700 Mbps on occasions.

1 Like