Getting a new Wireless Router

Hey all it’s been awhile!

Xfinity upgraded to 1.2Gbps but it’s kinda worthless if the ports on the supplied unit only support 1gbps. So I’m slowly upgrading the hardware to a 2.5Gb network in my house. First I really want to put my own router in place so I can set security the way I want it. Eventually I plan on setting up a pfsense or something like it for firewall/router purposes, get a 2.5Gb switch, and replace the actual modem with one that has a 2.5Gb port on it.

So what are some suggestions for a good Wifi6 router? I picked up a Linksys unit on clearance from Walmart a couple weeks ago, spent 3 hours setting it up the way i wanted it, and it just decided to end itself the moment I got it all working. Literally just shutdown and wouldn’t come back up. No power. I knew not to trust Linksys but the price was amazing.

Oh and let’s keep it around $150

ETA: I just realized this means the router will need to be a multi-gig port unit, right? Damn those are expensive from what I’m seeing, so far the cheapest is $350.

Hmm, Xfinity, so US.

150 is highly unlikely, if you’re doing pfSense eventually you probably want to get wifi 6 , and individual access points are $100 - $200.

You could get 2.5Gbps USB adapters and use them on like a raspberry pi…

or maybe just get https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WYSNKZL/ and some ram and a small reputable nvme ssd… and do pfSense today.

… so you’re doing a few 2.5G ports and pfSense and separate WiFi for 350 today.

I’m going to say that you’re most likely wasting your money, 1.2Gbit is theoretical down and from what I can read it’s rated below 50mbit up (according to reddit users) so you’re not very likely to hit that top speed either way so gbit will be fine. Your first step is to figure out if your modem supports bridge mode otherwise you may want to consider adding another NATed-network on top unless Comcast already are doing CGNAT. This might not be that much of an issue if Comcast also offers IPv6 though…

It does support bridge, ala the Linksys mentioned above that shit out on me after I got it setup.

I’ve looked at a few of this design, even ServeTheHome did a video on a couple days ago. I was considering doing one with a Pi setup.

Mileage may vary but in my case I get +1.3Gb on my xfinity cable service.

Built a PFsense with 10G SFP+ and have an Ethernet adaptor on the WAN side.

I think any sane person would say avoid USB NICs at all costs :wink:

Cool, is that somewhat sustained or “peaks”?

Pretty consistent throughout the day. Dips in the afternoon when everyone gets home for work but otherwise good

1 Like

FYI most modems in this class have 2x 1Gbps NICs which requires bonding to achieve >1Gbps. You don’t need 2.5Gbps hardware on your router unless you have a single client device that will actually use >1Gbps WAN download.

My new motherboard has 2.5GB on it, plus future plans for a NAS as well.

Netgear R7450 $159.00 Walmart. Aka AC2600. Runs openwrt snapshots, low power. I use it for a gateway with the radios off.

Currently $97 on Amazon, this should be a good option to roll with the little pfsense device, yes?

I’ve it paired with pi-hole on a pi3b. DHCP on the R7450, unbound & ad blocking on the Pi. I still have to work through why no local hostname resolution. I ssh the lan with ip’s. All the hosts are downstream of a dumb switch.
The firewall in openwrt is used. Isp router is C1000z set to dmz.

What about that one? same specs as the other one but with 8GB RAM and a 64GB SSD

Most features you listed except I don’t see where it says those ports are 2.5Gbe.
That’s my next dumb switch 2.5.

Back-Panel Connectors

• 1 × DC 12V input

• 5 x Intel I225-V 2.5G LAN

For some reason it’s not in the main description, you have to scroll down on this model. The barebones model lists it in the description.

I was trying to find one with just 2 ports, but they all seem to have 4 or 5 ports.

O.k. I don’t know how to do Amazon - not much practice. Before you set, did you see the Serve The Home vid on 6000 series intel fanless?

I just rewatched it, those run $400 +