Get On The Damn Boat

I feel this… I used Antergos and Arch for a good while and there were just so many dead repositories and broken features…

I am mostly joking, I almost never had problems with packages. Like I think around 2 times I had a broken AUR package.

/offtopic

My main issue has been dead repositories. But I am not on either of those distros anymore so its fine now.

/offtopic

@Schyken are they almost ready with the new budgie release? I’ve been out of the loop for a bit.

They’re switching from GTK to qt right? or did they already do that?

Could that be Ikey is back at intel working on the clear linux project ?

He did drop the potato but.

First post from mr chyken in months, its just a meme.

2 Likes

I’m closing in on a year on Solus. The only major issues I have had were associated with AMD drivers in 4.15+ kernels, all of which have been addressed now.

Snaps help to fill some gaps in the repos.

Is anyone using Solus with an Nvidia card? How’s the experience with proprietary drivers?

1 Like

I’m not currently, but when my TR is unbroken, I will be.

It’s good. The updated ISO fixed a bunch of problems with Nvidia. The experience is pretty seamless.

1 Like

ILY BB
Glad I could be of service xD

3 Likes

Might actually install it on my xps 15 or 13. I’m starting to miss it too much and the advance rma on the x399 board didn’t get in today. :frowning:

1 Like

Read up a bit on Solus after reading this thread, will be keeping an eye on it going forward, especially on budgie as it seems like a very interesting DE, and might replace gnome for me in the future. One thing though, I am a big fan of gnomes activities view, is there a similar feature in budgie to get an overview of all open windows?

Hope the project get’s going properly again soon as I still find the websites lacking a clear goal for the next releases for both Solus and Budgie at this point.

If it starts making good progress again, it might be my next OS on my main system. Anyone know if it has up to date mesa, vulkan and LLVM packages for use with steam proton and such?

It should. They’re pretty good about staying on the most recent stable release.

Says the guy that swore not to compile anything again a couple of days ago. :grin:

Sad to see solus kind of going the way of the dodo again.

Yeah, been a year since any major development was announced. Back then they promised a lot of new stuff, and since I have heard nothing. Been keeping an eye on the project from time to time since it has a lot of interesting ideas.

Without Ikey, they kinda floundered.

Twas inevitable.

Well yeah that is generally one of the main reasons i tempt to stick to the bigger distro’s.
Although i can highly appreciate the time and effort people put into,
building their own thing and community just for the sake for being different.
However most of the time those projects just fail at some point.
Because dev teams are generally pretty small.

Still yeah kinda sad Solus ended this way.
But it doesn´t really suprise me at all.
Building something from scratch and keep it going and innovating,
is a pretty huge task and asks allot of time and effort.

He is up to something new.

There’s not much to show for it yet though.

https://www.serpentos.com/

1 Like