Genoa 9654 QS experiences

Greetings,

I had been all but ready to pull the trigger on a dual 7773x system but the pricing (ebay) on Genoa QS chips is giving me pause. I have never taken a chance on QS units before. As such there is some trepidation; potentially flushing ~$5K down the drain doesn’t excite me.

Anyone pulled the trigger on these yet? How has it, or QS experience in general, been? Any issues? I’d be populating all 12 channels/CPU so memory wonkiness would be a big downer/blocker.

I’m just interested in the experiences here. Not so much the finger wagging/chastising by people more neckbeard than I wrt “doing it wrong”; e.g. QS parts in prod (they wouldn’t be). I have a pretty fabulous neckbeard and, on beard alone, I could give, in their heyday, Dusty Hill or Billy Gibbons some brutal competition. :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

I can only say past generation QS have worked great, iam still using my dual 7742qs workstation flawlessly, and many others have similar setups on epyc rome/milan. They are usually running a few 100 mhz lower than production units. which seems to be the same with genoa, 3.5ghz max instead of 3.7ghz, but i bet allcore clocks are very close if not same.
Sometimes QS cpus are even unlocked like with rome, which let us overclock them to faster than production!
I would be pretty confident buying a QS genoa from a reputable seller at least.

I second @SoManyBanelings , I’ve been running a 7742 QS for three years now on a ROMED8-2T and it’s been flawless.
I wouldn’t be shy using a QS in production.
Mine is a -04. I’ve seen some that are -05, I don’t have any experience with those and they are not overclockable like the -04’s are.

I have been using a Genoa QS CPU for roughly the last 2 months - probably a 9334 QS, but comes up as 100-000000897-03, B0 stepping. To preface this, I’m not remotely a neckbeard, and I managed to buy this CPU fairly cheaply from Goofish (basically a Chinese Craigslist).

I’ve had it running nicely on the Asrock Rack GENOAD8UD-2T/X550, paired with 8 sticks of 32GB SK Hynix 4800MHz RAM. The motherboard came with BIOS version 2.05, which is on AGESA 1.0.0.5. I haven’t dared tried to update it for fear of breaking compatibility though…

So far I’ve been able to get 3 x U.2 drives on one bifurcated slot running at PCI-e 4.0 without any AER errors - unlike my Asus WRX80E which isn’t able to do so. I’ve also been able to successfully pass through 2 GPUs into a Ubuntu and Mac OS VM.