Garuda Arch Linux - Vulkan won't work

I installed Garuda Linux (Ultimate Version), really nice distro if I may say so!

When I try to fire up lutris it say’s vulkan isn’t installed…
Screenshot_20201129_113358

So i try to check it out, I followed the link, and installed what it told me to, I have a HP EliteBook 8570p with a Core i7 processor and with it the integrated graphics, HD 4000. Yet that is not what I get out from my very limited understanding of grep.

Why does it state it’s AMD when it’s not. Should I reinstall garuba with the free drivers instead of the nonfree that it chose in the beginning of the installation? Or how do I fix this?

It has AMD? I thought I had HD4000…
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03393945

How do I fix this? Install the AMD drivers? That did not work out very well.

… So I have the third gen. Ivy bridge. and skylake the sixth gen is the earliest cpu that vulkan operates with. Well, that means I will say goodbye to linux for good with this machine, because I was hoping on playing WoW on it.

I have not worked with your exact hardware, but on a recent system I built I ran into a similar issue running Manjaro Linux. On that system it was running a R9 290x, and after some research I found that people had success when running https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/amdgpu-experimental/package from the AUR. I installed that, and it ended up solving my issue.

My understanding in that your GPU hardware’s chipset is known to be the GCN 1.0-1.1 and are only supported experimentally. Where as Vulkan requires at least version 1.0 of GCN to operate. Therefore you can not run Vulkan out of the box. I could be wrong, but that is what came across. If you have any issues, please let me know.

according to the link you provided, your laptop has AMD graphics as well as intel:

**Integrated:**

Intel HD Graphics 4000

**Discrete:**

AMD Radeon HD 7570M, with 1GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory

This would indicate you need to install vulkan for AMD

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vulkan

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, the 7570M is actually based on Terascale2. That means that you are not going to get working Vulkan on GNU/Linux. You may be able to install the AMD proprietrary driver but look up the details to see when your card was dropped for support and if they ever enabled Vulkan for Terascale 2 cards on the *nix-like systems.

I believe the MS Windows driver supports Vulkan for this card, but again, you would need to find out when support was dropped.

1 Like

My bad, I suppose I missed that it is based on Terascale2 rather than GCN. Darn, then the best bet is as @Mastic_Warrior says and trying out the AMD proprietary driver. The AMDGPU only officially supports GCN 1.2 or higher and that is why I mentioned using the experimental package as there is some support for previous cards . I am not sure how far back or what it supports, it most likely does not go back before GCN was used. The proprietary driver might have a better chance of working at this point. Sometimes this is the game with older hardware. Best of luck.

You don’t need the experiemental package to run GCN1 and 1.1 anymore. It is build into the kernel. Just pass the following on the Kernel boot arguments, radeon.cik_support=0 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=1 . If you want to try and use HDMI audio, VRR, and some other features, then you will need to enable Display Code (DC) and possibly PowerPlay (GCN 1.1 and newer) radeon.cik_support=0 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1

si refers to the Southern Island cards (GCN 1.1) and cik refers to the Sea Island cards (GCN 1.0).

@Querzion By the way, that does not mean that you card does not support Vulkan. It just means that the connectors to get you card running Vulkan are not in place. IE, the plumbing for Vulkan would need to added to the amdgpu FOSS driver as you card relies on the radeon backend and AMD nor contributors added code for the Terascale architecture to the admgpu backend. What would be even better would be to whip up the radeon driver to add native Vulkan support. But AMD is not going to do that. Makes a good Google Summer of Code project or Devember project since you have AMDGPU to use as a reference.

1 Like

I cannot do that, because the cpu is too old. Vulcan only supports Gen 6 or 7 + intel processors, and what I have in the laptop is Gen 3. So I installed Windows on it and let it be.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.