Gaming via KVM - topology and sanity check

Hello All,

This is my first post and was hoping for some help. I created a drawing of my topology and wanted to see if there are any issues I’m not thinking about. Is there any reason this setup won’t work?

This is the KVM in the picture.

Thank you in advance!

Hey thanks for reaching out!

This looks good so far to me.

Some notes:

• Just keep in mind you will need a high quality USB-C cable that is capable of display and data.
  • You can use a USB-A to USB-C cable from dock to KVM for the laptop USB connectivity.
  • Your keyboard being in the USB 3.2 port will disable your ability to use any KVM shortcuts
  • Some fancy mice like the one in the pic have firmware that violates HID specs. You might need to plug it into the back USB 3.2 port.

Ahh, okay. I can move the mouse to the back and swing the keyboard over to the “HID” USB on the front. I updated the drawing to verify everything again. This look good?

Yeah looks good :slight_smile: if you need an HDMI 2.1 cable recommendation we tested this one and it passed our cable tester: HDMI 2.1b Cables, Legit & Affordable? Yes!

In case your keyboard also violates hid spec, you’ll have to plug it into the USB 3.2 port on front, but hopefully, it works with the HID so you don’t lose the shortcut functionality.

Awesome!

I just bought the cables and will be purchasing the KVM today as well. Thanks for much for “blessing” this for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have any troubles just ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw no need to cross-post, I left a reply on the other forum post.

I got my KVM today but ran into an issue with the keyboard. I have it connected to the HID port and it works fine but I’m unable to use the shortcuts to switch between computers that are attached to the KVM. If the keyboard works in the HID port does that prove it’s HID compliant? If it does, any idea what’s wrong?

Sorry, I figured it was two different issues. I’ll do better.