Gaming Table server? SR-IOV?

Just a concept at this point. My TTRPG group has been toying with adding digital tools to our game sessions and it got me thinking after I saw Wendell’s SR-IOV video. I was thinking a server in a room, with Virtual stations at the table, foldup screens at each seat station and a large screen, under glass top. GM, up to 6 Players and large screen, so system would have to run up to 8 Virtual machines.

Not hard core gaming, just Roll20 or Fantasy grounds type VTTs.

My father and I could craft the table part np, just need to know if and how hard/much it would be to do this using virtual machines.

Thank you for your thoughts

What exactly is the function of the digital component in the game?

Perhaps take a look at Tilt Five…

1 Like

Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Gamma World etc.

There would be individual monitors for character sheet and choosing actions in the Virtual table top.

Game master station would be for pulling up resources, so ultra wide, or possibly 3 screens to simulate a game master screen, but also so the GM can see the Virtual table top and manage the NPCs.

The tabletop would contain a map during play.

Another perspective: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a digital system that actually improved a d&d game. My experience has been that it just adds complications and distractions :man_shrugging:

Definitely post pictures of whatever you end up with, though! Would be awesome to see something implemented well :+1:

2 Likes

For now it is a mind project, but I am putting together a testing machine and I will try and learn how to use SR-IOV on it. I just need to figure out the design and requirements to run that many virtual machines at once.

1 Like

For just Testing get an Intel 13500k and up.

About 32gb of ram with Option to Double that.

The IGPU can be easily Split via sriov Into 7 VMs.
I would Go with Unraid as my Hypervisor with that.
Afaik Roll20 should run very well that way.

You could Go the Mini pc as parsec Client Route so everyone has it own set or Single Display.

Or a Bit of a wonky Road would be a Brunch of USB Display Adapters like those in the GPUP Thread.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your knowledge

You could just have a dedicated mini pc for each player connected to a touch screen monitor.

And then the software could be a combo of Roll20 and Talespire. That’s what my group uses.

No need to jump straight to a complicated and delicate solution.

2 Likes

Cheapest functional, stable option would be the one they choose I am sure. Small shop, but trying to provide space for local gamers. The option for ones who can come in and those unable to come in, is why the digital even came up.

I just wanted to try to learn SR-IOV and this sounded like a great goal to try and reach. :slight_smile:

In Unraid with an Intel IGPU its as easy like

Enabling sriov in the bios
Install an Plugin
Get an config cronjob

Thats it.

Create a VM assign an Virtual GPU and install what you Need.

I would give all VMs all the cores and divide the RAM equal on them.

Use one 1 or 2 TB nvme for the VMs

There are a few hypervisors that can do the same for free BUT Unraid does it very easy and the Community Forum is super.

You can find my solution there to.

The Unraid Basic Package is more than enough for what you want.

There is another Option but it is not Diskussed in the Unraid forum and with that you could Go with proxmox

There is an semi legit way to Split any gpu before the 3000 Nvidia Series

eg 2000series 1000series. 900 Series

Its called vgpu unlock

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your knowledge :slight_smile:

What if someone with a Nivida 3000 or 40000 wants to use a virtual GPU unlock? What is he to do?
Why can’t Nividia 3000 and 4000 graphic cards be split?

Nvidia did patch this workaround. They want you to buy the Quadro counterparts and want you to Subscribe to the „nvidia Grid“ Programme .

So are you speaking of using thin clients to connect to VMs? I do think Keyboard Mouse and Monitor for each player and Keyboard, Mouse and Muli Monitor (4) for the GM are a must.

Does it have to be done on a single GPU?
Buy cheap used cards and do something similar to 4 Gamers, 1 CPU.
Each player will have their own gpu, and the whole thing will be based on one cpu and virtualization.

1 Like

of course you could buy a few cheap GPUS

but its the Mainboard PCIe slots and Lanes that make the trouble.
I would say 3 Player one GM so 4 VMs each has its on GPU… that means the GPUs must be single slots and low power and use very few PCIE Lanes.

or go BIG AMD Epyc, BIG Board many PCIE Lanes, BIG Money, BIG powerdraw, BIG Case :smiley:

or Buy one GPU like maybe one with much VRAM do the VGPU hack and use cheaper thin clients with IGPUs as Parsec devices :smiley:

both ways are viable
For the Pen and Paper Adventures, i would Go the parsec Route all day

No Problems with Video Output
No Problems with USB
Technicly cheap

From the base Variant

13th gen and IGPU sriov
to
13th gen and IGPU and 2000series VGPU Hack

Very small Investment :slight_smile:

Good parsec Clients are N4000 Based devices.

1080p60hz or rudimentary 4K60hz

There are Mini PCs and Mini Laptops out there for around 40-80€ a pop

i want a Main PC/server with all the VMs those VM’s have Parsec installed.
Parsec is an in House streaming Applikation. It captures the frames encodes them and send the “Video” “USB” stream to an thin client, that client decodes the streams and manages the inputs.
The Thinclient is an fully working Windows or Linux maschine with Parsec installed.

pls connect the whole clients over LAN and a switch.

on the Thin client is connected a Monitor a Keyboard and a sound device.

So yes we are talking every Player has its own Monitor its own Keyboard its own Sound
the GM can have depends on the Thinclients display output options more than one Display :smiley:

a good option for player clients re older All in one PC a few of them have touch displays, you need a good 1080P/60hz encode/decode capability on those maschines.

1 Like

slick. I have a ton to read. Thank you kindly for your knowledge and time

13500k or better
Unraid
Parsec
32GB Ram min
M.2 NVME SSD

Can KVM extenders be used in this case instead of thin clients?

1 Like