Gaming PC conversion to Rackmount Case

Hey All,

I’m looking to move my water cooled gaming PC to a rackmount case. The current box is sitting inside of a server cabinet (Open door, but is closed on 2 sides) and doesn’t breathe too well. The side panel is off and doesn’t fit with the GPU. It’s basically running open frame.

The build:

• O11 Dynamic Razer edition with Front panel reservoir + D5 pump
  • MSI ATX board
  • i5-13600k @ 5.6GHz with water block. Draws about 150W at peak
  • 32GB standard height RAM
  • 2x M.2 SSDs (No 2.5 or 3.5")
  • Corsair HX1000 PSU
  • EVGA RTX 3080 Ti Hydro series OC’d and draws around 460W at peak according to HWMonitor. It’s set at +120 at core and +1215 in memory
  • Dual 10Gb SFP+ network card
  • 2x 360mm radiators with fans in push
  • Has 9 fans in total running about 75% or 100% in longer gaming sessions

I found the Silverstone RM52 that seems to fit the bill, but I’m looking to see what other options are out there before I buy. I have plenty of rack space so I won’t have a problem with space. I would say no more than $500 for the case and I do run them until they actually fall apart typically. I had a Fractal Define XL R2 before the O11.

Other concerns I could use advice on:

• Suggestions for a reservoir or a pump/res combo that fits a D5 or DDC. I have 1 of each, but would prefer to keep using the D5. I think either a short pump/res housing behind one of the radiators may work, or the EK flat res 120. I would have to sacrifice an exhaust for that.
  • Any coolant alternative to Mayhems M1 that works just as well? I run without dyes and I’m also considering switching the tubing to the zero maintenance tubing. I know some brands are a reseller but I forget who.

Thanks All!

I’ve bought 3 of my cases from sliger and they’re ok enough. You just have tghe option of 2-3 120mm fans in 3u and 4u. The thing is, be aware of your GPU and PSU sizes. Dont be like me and get a 3u without double checking the GPU clearances. Now I have a 3u occupying a 4u slot.

Also be aware your current radiators are not designed for use in a rack-mount case, so mounting them is either very tricky or impossible. Equally, most server cases are not build for water cooling. Even if you successfully transfer your current setup to a rack case, you still need airflow for cooling stuff like RAM, VRM’s and any other addition (including your 10Gb network cards) to the system. Converting your system to aircooling might be beneficial, but that call is yours, obviously :stuck_out_tongue:

I looked at the case he mentioned in an image search and the first picture showed radiators mounted in the case, so I wouldn’t worry about that. Wouldn’t worry about clearances either with that case, it’s huge!

IMO I wouldn’t go much smaller, keep the fans big and speed low. More cooling capacity the better. Can’t comment on water cooling stuff, never done it.

I’m planning on a build in the Silverstone RM23-503 myself as a desktop build (picture old-school CRT on top of beige box style).

Post pictures if/when you start, sounds interesting :slight_smile: