Gaming PC and PCi Lanes

Hi all,
New to the forum and I’m hoping you can teach me abit about PCI lanes.

My PC is a 3800x with a MSI B450 Tomahawk MB, 16GB RAM with the following PCI Devices
X1 Vega 56
X1 R9 270
X1 USB Hub
X1 NVME SSD

The reason I have 2 GPUs is that, this is a SIM racing PC and with all 5 screens plugged into the Vega I started to get stutter issues. All solved by using the R9 270 to just run my 2 additional screens.

My question is, I would like to add and Elgato HD Pro (or similar) into this for recording a camera “over the shoulder” for my racing but I’m not sure if i’ve actually got enough PCI lanes…?

I did note in GPUZ that my R9 was running at 2x speed with the vega at full 16x.
2x is fine as these screens only show a dash and discord/chrome window.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks
Dave

As per motherboard manual that may not work.

As far as I can tell, you would need an X-series mainboard (x470 or X570) to get enough PCI-lanes.

You have “enough”, with the caveat that everything aside from your Vega 56 and your SSD will share a total of 4x PCIe 2.0 lanes.

By having a second GPU, a USB card, and a capture card you will be limited to x2 lanes at most for any single device, the other two will have a single lane.

Like the picture in @MazeFrame’s post shows, the bottom three slots will run x1/x2/x1 respectively.

Thank you both.
Really appreciate the replies.

Would I be better off with an x4/570 board?

Sorry, pci lanes are one of these things I’ve never quite got my head around!

I might be ok. The Elgato HD60 only required 1 lane.
Again, thanks for all the help.

Just jumping in here:

Using a game framebuffer across 2 cards is almost never a good idea for simply playing a game. However if the 2 other displays aren’t driving the game, you’re fine.

X570 might be helpful for more PCH bandwidth if you need it.

Your better bet is to use a Elgato Cam Link rather than a HD60 since it’s over the USB bus.

Hi there,

Yeah, I just use the extra GPU for driving the screens, they’re not used for gaming at all. I use the 2 extra screens for a dashboard and things like discord or standings during the race.
Just did a 24hr race so you end up being driver, crew chief and anything in between.

The reason I was after the HD60Pro was due to its hardware encoder. I want to take as much load of the rest of the PC as possible.

My recommendation is get a motherboard that supports your current hardware and has 2 PCIe x16 @ 16 slots and then get a mini ITX board with at least 1 PCIe x16 slot and a CPU with integrated graphics and set it up for capture unless you want to move to a Threadripper setup which would cost significantly more. Or if quality and latency is not as important for you can get a USB capture device. USB capture should be fine for 1080p 60hz. Alternatively you could get a 5xxx XT that supports hardware encoding and dump the R9 270 but you will still need to get a new motherboard for that option… Hope that helps.

I’d definitely given both thought.
My issue with the USB encoder is that the lag was alway inconsistent meaning that I had to resync the audio everytime. Though the newer USB3 ones seems to be real time.

A second PC is possible but thats a cost thing. My other desktop is too far away.

I think I’ll try the HD60Pro on PCI and if I need to get a mini PC built then I’ll consider that.

Thank you all again, this has been valuable.

It’s unfortunate that the encoders on the GPU for the Vega 56 and etc are all subpar. You are pretty much limited to the HD60 Pro.

My recommendation is the X570 Mobo in that case. MSI are about to release a X570 Tomahawk too.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep an eye out for that.