Gaming PC - $1,500.00 USD budget - Recommendation Request

If it is the os drive ? You always want the fastest up front :slight_smile: I am fan of Nvme storage. Reduces clutter and noise. You do not really need to have the fastest for basic simple use. Man the file transfer speeds can be nice.

If I to tweak things to a pointā€¦A fast 256 gig nvme boot drive and a cheaper slower nvme 1 or 2 tb drive. 120 for a boot drive is about fall off map.

Oh the the Rocket 4.0 is the boot and OS drive. It is fast but just Ryzen in general does not seem to get those unreal fast boot times, it is by no means slow but the NUC with a 6th gen mobile i7 with a 970 EVO and mixed 2000~mhz ram boots faster than the AMD system with a 3700x Rocket 4.0 and 3600 CL16 RAM.

It is not slow to boot but slower than you would expect it to be when compared.

And just in general for a PC that is going to pretty much just play games, listen to music, talk on discord and watch YouTube any NVMe drive will perform ā€œthe sameā€ if you donā€™t have benchmarks open to tell you exact speeds, they are all super fast and faster than your hand so interacting with them all feels as snappy as each other.

Unless you are doing some project work that is taking advantage of the sustained crazy fast reads and writes I donā€™t think it is really worth it to get a fastest of the fast drive. For just gaming they all feel the same.

Never really paid much attention to boot timesā€¦ Fastest boot is suspend and its not a boot :slight_smile: I am generally not aware of my fast nvme until I start shuffling files around. Maybe decompression ?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.