Gaming PC - $1,500.00 USD budget - Recommendation Request

Hi, All. Looking to build a Gaming PC machine:

Budget: $1,500.00 USD
Where do you live: USA
No preferred retailer
What will you be using your Glorious computer for? Gaming

• Cyberpunk 2077, assassins Creed Valhalla, COD Cold War, World of warcraft.
    No need to overclock
    No need for custom water-cooling.
    Do not need OS.
    Have a 1080P monitor but looking to upgarde to 1440P gaming monitor in the near future.

Other notes:
I like the Fractal Define 7 case - but open to other options.

Apparently the 5600X is pretty good…maybte together with an RX6800 and a 3070?

1 Like

Define 7 / Meshify 2, are VERY accommodating / quality cases [Fan FRIENDLY]
AMDs 5600x, has formidable heft. Also 5900x may have additional endurance [via the extra cores]
A sizeable PSU [850+W]
A sizeable CPU HS [Insert some Noctua HS]

Category Part Price
CPU 5600x $299
CPU Cooler Hyper 212 Evo $33
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus $150
RAM Crucial Ballistix 16GB 2x8 3600MHz CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4B $75
SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB $120
GPU Reference model 6800 $649
PSU SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W Gold $110

Total: $1403

Since case is very subjective, I’ll leave that out. This build leaves $100 currently for a case. You can swap out a few components like the PSU and CPU Cooler to save you a few bucks, but this is the build I would do if I were in your position.

Wasn’t there a maybe issue regarding that SSD? Also, I think the adlink s70 is cheaper and faster.

Personal taste, but I would never ever go with a reference model XD

1 Like

I’ve got one, and it works perfectly fine. I think I’m up to 35TBW on it so far?

The extra $50 to $100 for an AIB is almost never worth it.

Especially when considering performance on these newer coolers.

No stock cooler on 5600x anymore?

There is, but I’ve got a stock cooler on a 3700x on my brothers rig and it gets mighty warm.

I’m not convinced the stock coolers are actually that good.

Runs fine on my 3900x proxmox box

1 Like

Yeah, still different opinion but you are right that they’ve made significant improvements, both AMD and nVidia in fact.

Considering the cooler: I’m currently using the Arctic Liquid Freezer II and it’s really cool (pun intended). However, please be aware that picking a CLC over a tower cooler is more a matter of personal taste since tower coolers, especially Noctua ones, perform really well. (CLC do perform better and are able to soak bursts better than tower coolers. Price/performance is on the tower cooler’s side though.

1 Like

Bait and switch reports.

@OP I’d basically take @SgtAwesomesauce’s build and swap out the SSD. Crucial makes some in a similar price range as the Adata I believe, as do a plethora of others.

You could probably save the $30 on an aftermarket heatsink as well since you are not overclocking. Although an aftermarket heatsink would never hurt.

As for case, I built a computer in a Define Mini C not too long ago and it was fine. Quality was pretty normal compared to other cases I’ve built in.

3 Likes

Something like a sabrent rocket non-q gen 3 if you can find one on sale.

1 Like

Funny I had literally the exact opposite I found the 3700x stock cooler was incredible at its job only swapped it because I had a D14 anyway. Now it is cooling my brothers 1600x and it is even better there, took over them that stock cooler which was also doing just fine.

With stock cooler I was holding 4GHz auto OC that it did itself over the 3.7 basd, occasional 4.1 for a few seconds and with the D14 it holds 4.2. My room gets pretty warm too which never bothered it. In a not particularly airflowey case (NZXT H440)

I have a Rocket 4.0 and it is crazy fast, I only really game, and it is no faster than a 970 EVO I got a few years back for a NUC in actual recognisable use or feel. The NUC even boots faster than the 3700x with the Rocket. So I don’t really put much stock in the super fastest of the fast M.2s, better off save your money and get any reputable NVMe M.2 that suits your drive size needs.

If you are doing something that will take advantage of that speed then by all means, but for a gaming PC, not worth it. Particularly an AMD one as they don’t seem to get the boot time benefits of faster drives.

Thanks for this!
Looking at the board it does not have wifi or bluetooth is that something you would recommend as an add-on card or built into the board?

Do you use either? I have the MSi MPG Gaming Edge WiFi that has both and I just have them both turned off as I don’t use them other than the convenience moments of moving the PC to another room for maintenance.

Otherwise all wired. Even my mouse which is wireless works better using its dongle than over Bluetooth, again just a convenience feature when I am stuck.

Just thinking more as a convivence… but you might be right… probably won’t use it much.
[ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ] is onsale for $99.00 is this as good as the MSI mentioned here… looking at the specs i don’t really see the difference.

• edit… upon further inspection… it looks like the MSI one has more covering or heatsinks on the board… looks more sturdy.
1 Like

You can always add a WiFi/BT card later anyway if you find you want them. They are not particularly expensive.

Sorry I am no help for the motherboard.

1 Like

650w psu should be more than good enough for system with 5600x and RX6800.
Pretty sure 500W psu is enough. Should be cheaper than 750’s

not expecting this sytem to see any hardcore oc.

I would recommend swapping to a board that has those features if you need it.

Personally, I don’t use both, and you didn’t mention that need, so I thought I’d save you $30 on those features.

I have the itx variant of that asrock b550.

It’s a good board.