Gaming on Radeon VII GPU

So I wanted to do some testing to see if this works, I had read/heard that even if you have only a 1080p display that you could use the Radeon Upsampling Tech in the latest driver build to go to either 1440p or even 2160p

Has anybody tried this yet ?

Since I can only do this on my Workstation, the machine I’m typing this message onto I will give the specs so everyone can see what I’m trying to do.

AMD Threadripper 2950x CPU
Radeon VII GPU
64GB of Corsair LPX, DDR4-3200 (16GB x4)
Samsung 970 Pro, 1TB NVMe SSD

I just installed the latest v22.1.2 build and rebooted Windows 10 Pro.

Running the Radeon Software I see a ton of options regarding these upsampling features, just never tried them before.

The Display is a cheap ACER 1080p, 60Hz panel so it is fixed and has no Freesync support, it’s one of the few that can fit into my desk, a 24 inch class display.

Since my desk is one of those older hutch style the monitor/display section is limited to what I can place inside it without replacing the entire desk.

Just make sure you’re not using OBS at the same time. DSR on Nvidia is the same thing, but the memory copies required for OBS to work cause a huge memory bottleneck with OBS.

Good to know, but I know OF OBS but have never used it as I don’t stream, I play games :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the feedback however :slight_smile:

Just FYI a couple days ago Jim merged a PR from AMD that works like the new nvenc implementation, i.e. removes the need to copy around frames between RAM and back:

It’s not on master yet, but I’d imagine it won’t be long.

Anyway back to topic, I’m not sure about FSR, but VSR could be used for quite some time now. VSR physically renders a higher resolution though so it’s not upscaling.

I’m just not quite sure what FSR would give you on a lower-resolution display. FSR takes the low-resolution frame (i.e. rendered at 1080p), then scales it up and then the actual output has to scale it back down to 1080p. You’re not really gaining anything here…
With VSR at least you are physically rendering more detail because the game thinks its running on a higher resolution.

Thanks for the additional feedback, I may have been mixing up my terms, it maybe VSR that I want to use.